1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you tell me about the Colt Defenders? We're there issues with reliability with these ? I see a lot on gunbroker and auction sites . We're these also made in 70 & 80 series?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I owned one for a while. Nice enough carry pistol. I think they came out about 12 years ago and they were not made in 70 or 80 series.

·
Registered
23,221 Posts
Can't remember the exact year they came out, maybe 1999? They have an officers length grip. The short lived Defender Plus had a regular length grip. Also short lived was one chambered in 40 S&W. I bought a .45 ACP in 2002 which is under my 2010 in 9mm, and I think 2009-2010 was the first year for the 9mm.

I changed out the grips on both of mine for some from the old Ajax Co., which are Officers size, as are the magazines. They have the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety in them. They are called Series 90, which I think is more marketing than anything technical.

My .45 has been a great little 3 inch 1911 variant over the years, digesting most types of ammo. As with any little .45 they take more practice to shoot well and will use up recoil springs faster than a full size. The 9mm has been a lovely little pistol also.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Mine had "Series 90" rollmarked on the slide. I sold it away and can't remember if it had firing pin safety parts or not.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The Defender plus was a "reverse CCO" with a 3" barrel and a Commander length grip.

I have had a Defender and a New Agent over the years, both seemed to work fine. Never got used to the trench sights.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What can you tell me about the Colt Defenders? We're there issues with reliability with these ? I see a lot on gunbroker and auction sites . We're these also made in 70 & 80 series?
I did a bit of cosmetic fiddling with mine - new grip safety and trigger. Swapped out the thumb safety for a larger paddle, added Fusion adjustable rear sights. Minor stuff really. Like an early Detonics the Defender is the one of the most reliable 3" 1911s I own. I can't recall a single stoppage or failure to feed in the thing.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I really like my Defender. Light, easily concealed, fantastic trigger, quick recovery, good sight (Henie)picture. Only minus is that it just doesn't like some of the 200gr hp's I've tried in it. Both Rem Golden Sabre and Hornady XTP will go through it like green grass thru a goose. Recently transplanted a 3" Kimber recoil system into it, remains totally reliable with the bullets it likes, and a much less flimsy assembly. Original Hogue rubber grips suck.

Bob

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I just dont see the reason for a commander frame with a 3 inch barrel...
Not a lot of people did, that's why they're so rare.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Does anyone make this type of combo anymore? Fullsize frame/grip with a compact slide?
Most folks think length of frame more of a problem to conceal than slide length, ,, ,, unless you're a midget! :D

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts