1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be picking up a Colt Defender soon for use as my CCW gun. As I cannot carry at work this holster will mainly be used for driving, weekend outdoor activities, and after-work excursions with my family.

I shoot a lot of IPSC and some IDPA, som I'm used to a strong side draw stroke, and am not interested in a shoulder holster. Beyond that, I'm just looking for any input.

Thanks!!

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
OWB ~ Alessi CQC/s... Easy on & off, and very comfortable, and secure.

IWB ~ Spark's VM2, tough to be for any gun... Stable, comfortable, and secure.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you tell me a little more about the design of the Alessi? I have one of his holsters for my L-frame and it is fantastic.

As for the IWB- I have heard that these can cause lower back discomfort- any truth to that?

Thanks again-

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Brent, I carry IWB, and there is no discomfort for me. Been carrying that way only 3or4 years. Now if it was MOB or SOB, I could see where there might be some discomfort, especially if a person were to fall on it.

-------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right...that's what I was thinking- SOB. A close friend is a police officer in Nashville, TN and recently shared with me the workman's comp issues they've been having with plain clothes cops having lower back problems associated with long term carry SOB. I see you're point- IWB would eliminate that issue.

Do you have a favorite?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Brent, I actually have two favorites. One is a Fist #14 Combo, that I wear IWB with the #50 velcro accessory pack. It's really neat, no straps, or loops showing on the belt, stable, and fast to draw from. The other is a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. I only wish I had got it with the smooth side out. Both for a Kimber Ultra Carry. I am waiting on a Waldon Strike Back that I ordered smooth side out. It is for a Kimber Compact. I'll give a report on it when I get it.

-------------
Raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the looks of the CQC- thanks for the link.

With this type of holster have any of you had the safety switch off from rubbing on your shirt?

Thanks-

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> If you get a holster with a sweat shield, body protector, whatever it's called, the safety should remain on. My Fist holster does not have one, and the safety has never been switched off.
---------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi Brentster-

I have one of Alessi's MOB holsters, with the Talon clip, for my K9. It is easy on and off, and good in every other respect, except that I am just not comfy with the gun in that position. Not talking physical comfoprt, it just doesn't seem right, I feel like I do not have full control of it, and I don't think it's as good for concelament as a strong side IWB. One holstermaker told me that some outfits don't make SOB's because the gun in that position can tend to injure you, I think they were saying broken tailbone, if you slip and land on it.

Any of his IWB's would do you right. And nothing quite like the smell of a new Alessi holster (Lou, that's a hint....).

·
Registered
143 Posts

Hi Brent,

You've got some great choices so far in leather. If you need a kydex IWB option, the Ky-Tac Braveheart is equally at home on the range as it is on the street. I've seen Bravehearts for guns as large as the Glock 35 to guns as small as the Kahr P9 on the IDPA circuit, and they are blazing fast.

The Ky-Tac Point5 is the 1911 belt holster that will allow you to carry your Colt Defender as well as a full size 5" Govt. model and all sizes in between and beyond. If you shoot a full size gun in competition but want to carry your Defender in the same holster, the Point5 can fill that role superbly.

Best of luck in your search! If you've got any questions about Ky-Tac gear, feel free to drop us an email-

Best,
Joe

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate this- I'm great with competition gear, but new to all this stuff!

I'm convinced I want IWB after all I've heard hear and with a similar posting elsewhere. Now I just need to sift through the various models.

Ned, I just recently heard some great things about you from my friend Harold H. while we were discussing 1911 pistolsmiths- quite a coincidence that we "meet" on the forum!

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts