1911Forum banner

Colt Defender issue

346 10
I clearly violated DSK’s rule of unnecessary modification. I have a defender that has never missed a beat. In a fit of boredom. I ordered the EGW ignition kit and their recoil spring assembly.

These folks were extremely helpful on the phone and I ordered the kit directly from them. I learned the hard way that the hammer Spring was not meant for the defender and I put the original back in. I had to fit the thumb safety a little bit and it is very positive.
I had to tweak the leg of the spring a little bit to get the thumb safety to work but all function checks are 100%.

First trip to the range yesterday I had a number of stoppages where ball ammo would stop at the bottom of the ramp. I realize I made a judgemental error in changing several things at once. The magazines I used yesterday were Wilson combat seven round compact magazines, in 45 with the stoppages not occurring on any particular round number in the magazine.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have any suggestion? I think I’ve been appropriately perhaps deservedly chastised and could use a little diagnostic help if someone has an idea. My gut is to pull out their recoil spring assembly and head back out to the range.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That may be where I am ultimately headed. I would appreciate any thoughts as to the stoppages of being the same at the bottom of the ramp with ball ammo. I’m wondering if it’s the recoil spring assembly.

· Registered
353 Posts
I don't see any of the parts from the EGW ignition kit causing ammunition feed issues, which leaves the recoil spring and or the magazine(s). Either should be easy enough to eliminate or confirm as the problem by returning those part(s) to stock (one at a time). I tend to follow the advice provided above by CRT2.

· Registered
191 Posts
I clearly violated DSK’s rule of unnecessary modification. I have a defender that has never missed a beat. In a fit of boredom. I ordered the EGW ignition kit and their recoil spring assembly.

These folks were extremely helpful on the phone and I ordered the kit directly from them. I learned the hard way that the hammer Spring was not meant for the defender and I put the original back in. I had to fit the thumb safety a little bit and it is very positive.
I had to tweak the leg of the spring a little bit to get the thumb safety to work but all function checks are 100%.

First trip to the range yesterday I had a number of stoppages where ball ammo would stop at the bottom of the ramp. I realize I made a judgemental error in changing several things at once. The magazines I used yesterday were Wilson combat seven round compact magazines, in 45 with the stoppages not occurring on any particular round number in the magazine.
Shark1007,
FWIW, sounds like the interaction between the modified thumb safety and magazine isn't quite right, perhaps leading to some slight misalignment that is affecting the feeding. Are you using the same magazines as when it fed properly? In the Kuhnhausen Volume 1 troubleshooting section, for failure to feed it recommends (among other things) magazine tuning. This is discussed on pages 155-156. If you don't have it, I may be able to PDF it for you. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts