1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife likes the SA SS ultr compact 45 I have but she said it is a little on the heavy side. I saw a Colt Defender at a gun show and it a lot lighter then my SA. I know thw recoil on my SA, but how much more is the recoil on the colt since the difference in weight.

1927A1

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not owning a Colt Defender but the similar Colt Officers Lightweight @ 26oz., I can tell you the recoil will start to bother you after about 50 rounds of 230 gr. hardball. It bothers my wrist and I'm no wuzzy. No if you reload maybe you can make light loads for target shooting.
Great for carry, but for target practice it's not my first choice.
If the Defender is for your wife she might have a problem target shooting for long periods of time. Sighting in and getting comfortable with the gun is all she will need.
I assume this will be her carry gun, and the defender is perfect for that if no less than .45ACP will do.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I switched from a SA Ultra Compact to a Colt Defender, and the recoil actually feels less.
The double spring system reduces felt recoil significantly. Some people feel that the old "Speed Bump" grip safety hit them just wrong during recoil though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a stainless SA V10 Ultra compact and the recoil is less on it than my full size Kimber due to be porting of the barrel, but the gun is still relatively heavy. I haven't checked, but I wonder if SA makes a lightweight version of the V10.

Something to consider if the noise of a ported barrel isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have approx 550 rounds thru my recently acquired Colt Defender and so far the recoil has not been an issue.

I think Firearms Plus FL is right about the recoil spring system, it really works quite well, as he told me it would a few weeks ago.

[This message has been edited by Ken Neal (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by h4444:
I have a stainless SA V10 Ultra compact and the recoil is less on it than my full size Kimber due to be porting of the barrel, but the gun is still relatively heavy. I haven't checked, but I wonder if SA makes a lightweight version of the V10.
I believe they do make a LW V10, but they've changed their products around a few times and we don't stock them, so I'm not sure.

Something to consider if the noise of a ported barrel isn't an issue.
Yeah, just don't shoot from the waist :)

[This message has been edited by FirearmsPlus.FL (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ahhh,,,,here's something to think about.

Couldn't you shoot from the waist with the V10 if you could keep the exhaust blast out of your face.

Since you are firing from your waist or any other position that requires instinctive firing, simply rotate the gun 45 degrees and the blast will be away from your body. With the gun in your hand, your palm pointed at the sky, the exhaust ports pointed away from your face, you should be able to fire instintively without any harm caused by the exhaust. Shouldn't affect accuracy a heck of a lot, since you're firing instinctively anyway.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FLASHBANG, and to all the rest of you guys..

Thanks for your responce. Yes this will be a carry gun for my wife. I had gotten her a Walther 380 PPK/S but she does not like the feel of the gun. She complains about the slide hitting the side of her hand. This Colt Defender is a 2000 model and has one 6 round mag. The back of the beaver tail is swoop in the down position, were the beaver tail on the SA Ultra Compact swoops up.

Someone one the forum mentioned about the extractors were of poor quality and breaking. Is this in the older models? It was also mentioned here that the trigger pull was on the hard side. More then 4.5-5.5 lbs. Is this correct?

Thanks
1927A1

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
All production 1911's have a decently heavy trigger. I don't like the swept down grip safety's, and would suggest a drop in wilson, which fit's good.
The mag should be a 7 rounder, the new one's have an orange coated shooting star follower.
I've not had any problem's with the extractor's, though a customer that bought a used 1991 commander had one (extractor) that was junk. I don't know how old the gun was though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome Steve.
The moderators here don't like it much when you reply to a thread that's more than a year old. :( Don't be surprised if one of them closes this one.
At any rate, glad you like your Defender so much! :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
1927A1 said:
FLASHBANG, and to all the rest of you guys..

Thanks for your responce. Yes this will be a carry gun for my wife. I had gotten her a Walther 380 PPK/S but she does not like the feel of the gun. She complains about the slide hitting the side of her hand. This Colt Defender is a 2000 model and has one 6 round mag. The back of the beaver tail is swoop in the down position, were the beaver tail on the SA Ultra Compact swoops up.

Someone one the forum mentioned about the extractors were of poor quality and breaking. Is this in the older models? It was also mentioned here that the trigger pull was on the hard side. More then 4.5-5.5 lbs. Is this correct?

Thanks
1927A1

"Yes this will be a carry gun for my wife"

I don’t want to rain on your parade but do you think an ultra short barreled, lightweight .45 ACP is the right carry gun for your better half?:scratch:

Just a suggestion but wouldn’t a small 9MM or .38 Super be more appropriate?
These “little” 45’s can really jump.

On the triggers, most Colt production guns I've ever tried had pulls closer to 6 lbs. standard, Colt likes the heavier pull evidently.

·
Registered
724 Posts
TheGerk said:
"Yes this will be a carry gun for my wife"

I don’t want to rain on your parade but do you think an ultra short barreled, lightweight .45 ACP is the right carry gun for your better half?:scratch:

Just a suggestion but wouldn’t a small 9MM or .38 Super be more appropriate?
These “little” 45’s can really jump.

On the triggers, most Colt production guns I've ever tried had pulls closer to 6 lbs. standard, Colt likes the heavier pull evidently.
The only thing that really matters is what she thinks and that it's reliable.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
shootist87122 said:
The only thing that really matters is what she thinks and that it's reliable.
10-4 Brother, I fully understand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts