1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, I know,
This question has probably been asked & answered several times over the years.
Most likely not as many times as the old worn out "Carry Condition" question.
I have tried a search on this site and can't get any hits.

I am giving my late 2013 to early 2014 Colt Defender a make over.
I picked it up real cheap due to the previous owner molested it trying some kitchen table gun smithing.
There are a few scrapes and punch marks on the slide where he slipped while trying to punch out the sights, and of course both sights are buggered up badly.

I am going to replace the sights as part of the make over, and need the heights of both the front & rear sights.
It currently shoots to POA at about 15 - 20 yards and I want to keep it there, so I need to replace the sights with a set of the same dimensions.

These are the Novack ? Cut sights. And 45 ACP if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Steam Boat.

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
I would call Novak and talk with them since you are going to replace both sights. My 2002 Defender in .45 has tenon mount front sights and my 2010 is a 9mm. I think it would be worth it to invest in some good calipers and you would know pretty close what they are on your gun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know, I know,
This question has probably been asked & answered several times over the years.
Most likely not as many times as the old worn out "Carry Condition" question.
I have tried a search on this site and can't get any hits.

I am giving my late 2013 to early 2014 Colt Defender a make over.
I picked it up real cheap due to the previous owner molested it trying some kitchen table gun smithing.
There are a few scrapes and punch marks on the slide where he slipped while trying to punch out the sights, and of course both sights are buggered up badly.

I am going to replace the sights as part of the make over, and need the heights of both the front & rear sights.
It currently shoots to POA at about 15 - 20 yards and I want to keep it there, so I need to replace the sights with a set of the same dimensions.

These are the Novack ? Cut sights. And 45 ACP if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Steam Boat.

Hi, I also have a Defender with the Novak sights. I have been researching replacing them so I asked Novak the cut dimensions.. It doesn't appear this is exactly what you are looking for but figured I would throw it out here for you in case you do actually need the info at a later date.. Here is what they replied with:

Rear Sight is: .495 X 65 degree
Front Sight: .330 X 65 degree

My Defender was bought NIB in April of this year..

Hope that helps..

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi, I also have a Defender with the Novak sights. I have been researching replacing them so I asked Novak the cut dimensions.. It doesn't appear this is exactly what you are looking for but figured I would throw it out here for you in case you do actually need the info at a later date.. Here is what they replied with:

Rear Sight is: .495 X 65 degree
Front Sight: .330 X 65 degree

My Defender was bought NIB in April of this year..

Hope that helps..
Thanks,
I know the cut dimensions for the Novak sights.

I took the rear sight and went to the gun smith and was able to find the front sight pieces, ( the previous owner had JB welded it in to keep it in place), the G.S. Had to split it in half width wise and drive it out. The previous owner had mo leashed and boogered up on the sides of the front sight and cut in the frame.

I was able to get a height measurement on the white dot end of the front and on the rear sight height.

In case anyone else is interested, the sight heights on MY Defender are as follows:

Rear sight is : 0.325"
Front sight is : 0.160"

I will not take responsibility for anyone if they use these measurements for their Defenders, the factory may use different sight heights to get the firearms to shoot to point of aim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts