1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thanks to the awesome people on this forum I decided to forgo the Dark Side and to purchase a 1911 for my newest pistol. I am going to get the Colt Defender I think if they still have them in stock at my local shop. I am getting gift cards from my local shop and decided to use them and the money I would have spent on a Glock and purchase myself this awesome gun. I am really excited and cannot wait for a 1911!

·
Registered
329 Posts
jtcannonball said:
Well thanks to the awesome people on this forum I decided to forgo the Dark Side and to purchase a 1911 for my newest pistol. I am going to get the Colt Defender I think if they still have them in stock at my local shop. I am getting gift cards from my local shop and decided to use them and the money I would have spent on a Glock and purchase myself this awesome gun. I am really excited and cannot wait for a 1911!
Once you go 1911, you never go back. I can remember my Glock days. Now when I pick them up they feel foreign, weird, uncomfortable, and chunky... like something out of a bad science fiction movie.

Since my 1911 transformation, I'm convinced that certain things in life were simply done right the FIRST time. 1911's, Gibson Les Pauls, Vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, and Ford Mustangs are a few that come to mind.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Congratulations on seeing the "Light":rock:

·
Registered
673 Posts
you are looking at one fine pistol.i think you will enjoy.please dont get discouraged if you have break in issues.give it 200 rds before you pass judgement

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a very patient person, so I know I will be fine and after I take it to the range the first time I probably won't be able to get back for a week or two because school will be started back up. So that being said if I have an issue I won't be freaking out waiting for a turn around from the manufacturer if I have problems. Plus my boss at Best Buy has many and his father owns a gun shop so he told me he can help me out if I have any problems. Should I get some scotchbrite and polish it right away or is that not something I should do? I read in another forum or maybe this one to do that to the gun.

·
Registered
714 Posts
jtcannonball said:
Should I get some scotchbrite and polish it right away or is that not something I should do? I read in another forum or maybe this one to do that to the gun.
jt, I would suggest that you NOT do that:scratch: ...the frame is an coated(?) alloy, the slide brushed stainless steel. Scotchbrite will scratch the surface, people use it to simulate the brushed look!

If you get the pistol take it to the range and shoot it...repeat many times:). Preston

·
Registered
45 Posts
I sure like my Defender. I bet you will like yours as well. Mine is nicely accurate (about 1.5 inches @ 25yds) and has never hiccupped right from the start. Best of luck.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Congrats, and besides my Defender I do own a couple Glock 36's and other small .45 ACP autos. I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pjsjr said:
jt, I would suggest that you NOT do that:scratch: ...the frame is an coated(?) alloy, the slide brushed stainless steel. Scotchbrite will scratch the surface, people use it to simulate the brushed look!

If you get the pistol take it to the range and shoot it...repeat many times:). Preston
Not the frame, I can't remember what I read but it was something internal like the feed ramp or something to polish it an debur it. That is what the scotchbrite was for.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I loved my Defender but I stopped carrying it. I am a bad boy the new Agent has caught my heart . :) The Denfender is a great pistol and the Agent is to. Get the Defender and then on to the range. You will love it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
jtcannonball said:
:rock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at both the Defender an New Agent and I don't see anything that would make me want the New Agent over the Defender personally. Why are these popular and popping up on forums all over the place? I personally would prefer for myself a standard set of sites.

·
Registered
817 Posts
DO NOT TOUCH THE FEEDRAMP ON AN ALLOY FRAME 1911!!! The aluminum is anodized for hardness, polishing the feedramp will remove the anodized surface allowing the bullets to dig into the feedramp. It will cost big dollars to get this repaired properly.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Nothing wrong with a G19/17, but a 1911 by way of Colt is another game all together. Congrats and wise decision. Just clean and lube the gun prior to shooting it. Use the factory mags and stay away from polishing anything !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys... I am glad I asked before I got my pistol. I am really excited because I am even closer to getting my Defender. My girlfriend gave me a giftcard to the shop I am getting it from for Christmas, :) that and of course a "Dominant Buck Urine" scent dragger for hunting! I thought that was a great Christmas gift, except I never used deer urine for hunting before. :scratch:

·
Registered
107 Posts
ScottsGT said:
DO NOT TOUCH THE FEEDRAMP ON AN ALLOY FRAME 1911!!! The aluminum is anodized for hardness, polishing the feedramp will remove the anodized surface allowing the bullets to dig into the feedramp. It will cost big dollars to get this repaired properly.
Man, you guys are scaring me!! I remember back when I first bought my Defender years ago, I polished the feedramp (just like I do to all my semi"s) with a rag and a little Flitz, and I havn't noticed anything 'deforming' yet. Is there any particular round that would excellerate this phenom? All I shoot in mine is 185 FMJ, then a few mags of Silvertips to end each range session, and the ramp still looks shinny? Is this theory a falacy, or did I just not polish 'deep' enough?? Im confused on this.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There is polishing and there is abrading

AK-Kev said:
Man, you guys are scaring me!! I remember back when I first bought my Defender years ago, I polished the feedramp (just like I do to all my semi"s) with a rag and a little Flitz, and I havn't noticed anything 'deforming' yet. Is there any particular round that would excellerate this phenom? All I shoot in mine is 185 FMJ, then a few mags of Silvertips to end each range session, and the ramp still looks shinny? Is this theory a falacy, or did I just not polish 'deep' enough?? Im confused on this.
I doubt if you removed very much of the anodized aluminum with Flitz and a rag. You'd probably have to go after it with a dremel tool and some abrasive to remove it and expose the aluminum beneath it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm sure you're OK with the Flitz. When I started talking to 'smiths about refinishing my Lightweight Enhanced OACP, one of the well known 'smiths on this board warned me about this. My plans with mine are to dehorn everything, beadblast the frame and KG GunKote the frame. he told me to just stay out of the inside of the frame and frame rails and concentrate on the external, and make sure I cover the feedramp and rails with heavy tape. Any heavy polishing and or beadblasting would ruin the area. The fix was to mill out the area and install a steel feedramp using JB weld. He gave me a great tutorial about anodizing and how it works, and how it is almost impossable to find someone that does as good of a job as Colt did originally on the alloy frames. Something about their process hardens the aluminium more than the standard anodizing. Even the natural finished Lightweights are anodized, just with a "clear" anodizing.
I had this discussion probably 5 years ago, and I'm now finally getting around to these mods.....:scratch:
AK-KEV, if you don't see scratching in the feedramp yet, don't loose any sleep over it. You won't see any. But the hollow points have a tendency to dig into the ramp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks guys:rock: I do see a couple of VERY light scratches on the ramp when looking at it under a magnafying glass. But it has quite a few rounds through it since I polished it years ago, so I dont think I went through the anodizing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts