1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I made my choice. I've been reading the posts for the 3 guns I'm been thinking about for CCW, Para-Ord P10, Kimber Ultra Carry and the Colt Defender. Now, I call my Dealer/Gunsmith/Range Owner, and he says the Defender is a piece of crap mostly because the guide rod is way too thin for reliability and a few other reasons. I can't help but think he is against it because he doesn't stock it and wants me to buy the Kimber he does have. I'm getting more confused at every turn. What do you guys think here on the Colt Thread? Any problems with that guide rod or anything else?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm sure if you browse/ search the forum, you'll find plenty of threads praising the Defender. I have one and love it.

I've never heard of a problem with the Defender Guide rod.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have one and love it too, wish I had two of them.

Get in here Col.Colt I know you and your bride have at least one each that you think very highly of.

Dont let this dim witted dealer send you down the wrong road, get a Defender.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Well, I have three XS series Defenders, need I say more? I just sent my carry piece off to get hard chromed @ AP&W, will sure miss it while it is gonw, went the P-10 route, would not want another. The Kimber is a clone.... you decide.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Don't listen to gunshop commandos. They will steer you wrong EVERY TIME! These are usually the very same punks that attack good guns with files and Dremel tools. They have ONE thing you need.....an FFL license. Pay them for the use of it, then take the gun OF YOUR CHOICE home with you.

My guess is that he's a Kimber Master Dealer just trying to push his product. Master Dealers have to move "x" amount of guns every quarter in order to keep their status active and get the big discount.

Phooey on that. Kimber has been letting some serious clunkers out of their factory lately. Almost like Colt in the late eighties/early nineties. Colt got their act together (finally). Will Kimber?

Callahan

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
Don't listen to gunshop commandos. They will steer you wrong EVERY TIME!

YES!, Listen to us Forum Commandoes :)

My guess is that he's a Kimber Master Dealer just trying to push his product. Master Dealers have to move "x" amount of guns every quarter in order to keep their status active and get the big discount.
To be exact, you need to buy X dollars in the begining of the year, then no more until the next year. It's actually TOO easy to be a Master Dealer IMO.
We stock a full line of Kimbers & Colt's, and while I like the Colt's, I try to be fair pointing out the different features each shares.
This dealer obviously doesn't stock Colt, perhaps because of bad experiences, poerhaps personal preference.
How many guns did he stock? What did he carry?
Phooey on that. Kimber has been letting some serious clunkers out of their factory lately. Almost like Colt in the late eighties/early nineties. Colt got their act together (finally). Will Kimber?

Callahan
Haven't you been reading gun magazines?
Colt's dead, Kimber's perfect, even their Ultra Carry can shoot 1" groups at 500 yards.
What's to improve?
:)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanks for the info on how Master Dealers get their dealership discounts, I was mistaken.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Our shop has been selling Defenders regularly since they were introduced, and have yet to hear any discouraging words regarding accuracy and relibility from our customers. Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide Shop did the development project for Colt, as an improvement on the Officer's model.

As for the guide rod system - it's the same one used by virtually everyone for their "short" 1911s, Glocks, etc. I believe Detonics originated it - and the fact that it is used over twenty years later by several manufacturers may say something about how good it is.

The advantage of listening to fellow Forum members over "Gunshop Commandos" is that your are getting a lot more different opinions and input you can sift and collate. A Dealer, on the other hand, always has an angle - which gun is more profitable FOR HIM TO SELL YOU? Not "which is the better gun".

I vote for the Defender - if we hadn't liked my wife's very own we wouldn't own two by now!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have owned 4 or 5 Defenders over the years. Have found nothing in this 1911 size class, bar none, as reliable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A good friend of mine has one, and I'm not privy to the exact model/year of it. He had some feeding problems with it (hardball) and had sent it back to Colt. He had shot it once or twice since getting it back stating that it seemed fine. Last weekend we went to the range and the first 50rnds were fine. After that he started getting FTF, again using various hardball. We then tried a few different mags to no avail. He will be sending it back again.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The guide rod is a patented part of LW Seecamp.
Colt(Defender & Pocket 9), Lasermax (for use in the appropriate Glocks) and ParaOrd IIRC, licensed the design.

Glock, Kahr, Kimber ddn't license it IIRC.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by jrf:
A good friend of mine has one, and I'm not privy to the exact model/year of it. He had some feeding problems with it (hardball) and had sent it back to Colt. He had shot it once or twice since getting it back stating that it seemed fine. Last weekend we went to the range and the first 50rnds were fine. After that he started getting FTF, again using various hardball. We then tried a few different mags to no avail. He will be sending it back again.
Is it the .40 by any chance? (I've heard they're not very good, but I'm a stickler for only long rounds in 1911's myself)
It's really odd, has he had a gunsmith look it over?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
It is unusual to see a Defender that will not run 100%, but try a couple of suggestions. I would suggest to your friend that he start by cleaning and lubing the gun, and taking it to the range with Winchester and Federal 230gr Ball ammo. If it runs 100%, try the same brand's hollowpoints. Still 100%? Is it the gun's fault or the dimensions of the cartridge case head? I have seen some specific ammo lots of Fiocci, UMC "yellow box" and CCI/Blazer aluminum case that gave everybody that used it fits. If a customer has a problem with reloads - we don't consider that a gun problem - it is almost always an ammo probem. Crimp, OAL, etc.

Also, have him check the extractor tension - I do this automatically on every and any 1911 that comes into the shop with any complaint. The very best thing you can do for any 1911 is to fit it with a Cylinder and Slide Spring Steel Extractor, properly adjusted. John Browning specifed that the extractor be a strong "spring hook" to pluck the cases out smartly. My 1920 Commercial still works perfectly with any maker' Ball ammo - using it's original 80 year old extractor. The whole industry has moved away from spring steel extractors years ago - and I think this was a classic mistake of substituting what seemed to be an acceptable, economical change - that occasionally causes mysterious problems today. Many guns by all makers can benefit by a little polish of the feed ramp/chamber/breechface, also, rather than waiting for "breakin" to smooth them. Just my opinion - backed up by a lot of observation.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts