1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a NIB Colt defender and it shoots 8 inches below point of aim at 10 yards rested on sand bags. Thought it could be me so asked another person to shoot it and it done the same thing on him. So do any you guys have any idea what to do to solve this problem. Or what the problem might be. I called Colt and they said all pistols are field test to point of aim before they are sold.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If it consistently shoots tight groups at that distance, you could raise the rear sight until point of aim and point of impact are the same. If it doesn't have an adjustable rear sight, you'll have to lower (file) the front sight. I'd try a distance of 15 yds or 25 yds and various types of ammo before committing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Almost 1/8 of an inch, ouch!

Maybe a heavier bullet and a looser grip combined with a much lighter recoil spring.:rolleyes:

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
What is the POI when it is shot offhand?

·
Super Moderator
14,842 Posts
OK guys, let's get this right:

correction = (sight radius x disparity)/distance to target ALL IN INCHES

C = (4* x 8)/(10x3x12)
C= 32/360
C= 0.089"

*estimated sight radius for Defender. Don't have one on hand to measure.

**I think PW used a 5" sight radius (which might be correct).

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Yes, I did guess at 5" as the sight radius.
I figured that would be close enough to show that
something is seriously out of kilter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
OK guys, let's get this right:

correction = (sight radius x disparity)/distance to target ALL IN INCHES

C = (4* x 8)/(10x3x12)
C= 32/360
C= 0.089"

*estimated sight radius for Defender. Don't have one on hand to measure.

**I think PW used a 5" sight radius (which might be correct).

You are right!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was told to contact Brent on here and see what he says. Also it brought blood from my fore head from brass and the trigger shakes from side to side like crazy. Wouldn't expect that from a $$1000 dollar Colt.

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
Little 1911s are snotty. See what Brent says. I remember a friend had a little Kimber years ago and it would eject a round about half the time when it was new.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the same issue with my Defender I believe that's just how they shoot from the factory with the short sight radius. Dawson Precision sells front sights in all different heights to correct POI. Kind of annoying if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts