1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Colt Diamondback revolver that I got from pops and I use as an ankle carry. Well, it started to show a bit of rust flecks on the barrel despite oiling it up after every carry session. So I did my best to get rid of the rust without ruining the finish, but in the end the finish had to come off to get the rust off. Now I'd like to touch up that spot, but the old Colt blueing is a beautiful black/blue that's hard to match. Any recommendation on what I should use?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dfariswheel said:
Most any cold blue.
One's about as good as another.
Will it match though? The old Colt blueing is not the same as the new blueing I see on pistols. It's a darker, deeper color. That's my dilemma. I don't need perfection, but I would like to get as close as possible.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Resign yourself: you won't get a satisfactory match. Having said that, the closest I've come to happiness with any cold blue is by doing the following. First I spray the gun with a little Bull Frog Rust Hunter and rub it off to remove any residual rust. Next I do several applications of Kleen Bore's Black Magic over the entire gun. (Spot patching with any cold blue simply highlights the area being patched.) Then I wipe the gun down with Mobil 1, Castrol, or something similar. Finally I wipe off that oil. The result is the best I've been able to do with any cold blue.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Fwiw

I have a Series 70 Gold Cup that I used cold blue on many years ago. There was a place/patch on the left hand front of the slide that the holster wore off the factory blue. The color match was poor. Hind sight is 20/20. I'm sorry that I didn't leave well enough alone.

Good shooting!

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
psII

If it were mine, I'd find something else for the ankle, clean her up and put her away to shoot periodically and fondle of an evening. I sure wouldn't mess with the finish other than to clean and oil it...wonderful old gun.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
CTSA1911

I agree with Stillwater. A Diamondback that is suitable for ankle carry, probably has a barrel that is shorter than 4 inches,and maybe 3 inches, which makes it a bit more collectable. If you refinish it, you will kill any collectors value it has, even if it has 4 inch barrel.

So I suggest that you reassess this revolver as a daily carry piece, or at least reassess the holster and location of carry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just leave it as it is. Any re-blueing will ruin any collector value. I guess it depends just how big the "spot" is where the bluing is gone. If you have no interest in collecting, just reblue it and don't worry about it. Colt could always touch it up for you. Some gun smiths can handle the bluing chore for you too.

The Diamondbacks are pretty popular these days. Since you ankle carry it, I figure it's a 2.5" 38spl. If it is a 22, absolutely do not reblue it as the value of the 2.5" 22's is very high. I would cosider sending it to Colt if it were a 2.5" 22. As new ones sell in the area of $1500.... not to shabby for a 22.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.