1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the grips that come on new Colts are wood or a composite of wood and resin. I believe the process is called Diamondwood by some manufacturer. The bevel cut on the bottom of the grip shows something that looks like layering and they seem to be too hard for average exotic wood like Rosewood. I have some other exotic wood types on some other guns and these Colt grips seem to be harder.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If you can't tell, does it really matter?:rolleyes:

Bob

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can't tell, does it really matter?:rolleyes:

Bob
Not a huge deal either way. I bought a set because I like the color and the fact that they are OE on some Colts which is what they went on. Hard to learn anything without asking a few questions from time to time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that question

Rosewood is a variety of cocobolo. I think Colt calls them laminated rosewood. The striations you noted at the bottom bevelled area of the grip shows the ply's or layers of the laminate. I may be using the wrong term, but I believe the look is similar to "slab" cut rosewood (or cocobolo). You'll note quarter sawn cocobolo has vertical mineral strips down the grip and a dissimilar look than the slab cut (see items 1390 & 1324 quarter sawn:
http://www.woodcaliber.com/store/c3/Gov_Double_Diamond.html )

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Perhaps you might look at Altamont's website as I believe they make Colt stocks.

resin impregnated, laminate is the norm for some stocks....for example, like those black/silver ones.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
The resin stocks are not that bad if you carry the pistol. I have found they get dinged up less than all wood grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts