1911Forum banner

Colt Double Eagle Question

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JRJ 
#1 ·
Maybe you guys can help me. I went to my dealer today and he has a Colt Double Eagle for a little over $500.00. I am not familiar with these guns and I would like some info on them.

First of all I noticed the squared trigger guard, and the series 90 roll mark on the slide. The gun was in good condition with no holster wear or visible marring. Next I would like to know if it is single action or double action. Also, if there is any interesting light that you can shed on the piece I would love to hear your opinions. Good deal or no go? Thanks.

#2 ·
Hello JRJ....

My opinion and experience has been that the DE is a relatively durable gun. Some people really like the looks of the DE, others don't. Originally, the gun magazines really did a negative number on the guns because the "Series 90" pistols would pinch the shooters trigger finger when the trigger was pulled. The "Mark II / Series 90" pistols had an improved frame configuration to reduce the pinching and also contained an improved system of spring retention under the grips.

The DE is a double action gun with a heavy initial trigger pull. After the first shot, the gun is cocked and ready to go with a very nice light single action trigger pull. The DE also features a decocking lever and an internal firing pin safety (Series 80 System). The guns were all stainless with the exception of the Light Weight Officer Model in a blue finish with aluminum alloy frame. The DE was advertised as being available in 9mm, 38 Super, 45ACP, 40S&W, 10mm.

I would pick the "Mark II / Series 90" over the "Series 90" gun especially if you are going to be shooting it.

I would offer $475 to $500 for a "Mark II / Series 90" in 45 ACP with a box and paperwork.

Regards,
Sam

#3 ·
The Double Eagle was one of Colt's many recent sales "flops", so since it's discontinued it's more of interest as a collectible than a shooter. Parts may get hard to come by in the coming years, so keep that in mind.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

#5 ·
I have a Colt Double Eagle and it is one fine shooter. The top end is all 1911 while the lower is a new design from Colt. It didnt catch on and it was way overpriced to boot. Colt dropped it due to poor sales.

I have also heard that it was the gun Colt was going to submit or did submit to the military when they were testing for a replacement of the 1911's. I dont know for sure if that is true or not.

I see them going for a lot more than $500 around here.

The one big draw back to them is the weight of the beast, it is heavy.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm buying a new .45 and the Double Eagle caught my eye. I'm going back today to look it over closely and make my decision. It's going to have to beat a P97 Ruger that I have taken a liking to.

#7 ·
Originally posted by JRJ:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm buying a new .45 and the Double Eagle caught my eye. I'm going back today to look it over closely and make my decision. It's going to have to beat a P97 Ruger that I have taken a liking to.
JRJ....
If it were me.....If the gun you're looking at is a DE Combat Commander in 45ACP, I'd go with the Colt Double Eagle, just because it's a Colt and because it will probably go up in value over the years. Ruger is nice, but the DE Combat Commander is a great gun.

Scooper....Good decision on the Colt 2000. If you're a collector go for it. If you're a shooter, the Colt 2000 is a poor choice in my opinion.

Regards,
Sam

#8 ·
Originally posted by Ken Neal:
I have also heard that it was the gun Colt was going to submit or did submit to the military when they were testing for a replacement of the 1911's. I dont know for sure if that is true or not.
No, the gun they submitted in the 1970s was a prototype all-stainless 9mm called the SSP. It wasn't a bad gun, but they never reached the production stage which is a shame. In appearance it did resemble the Double Eagle to a degree, though. The main difference with it was that it used CZ-style reversed slide/frame rails.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-21-2001).]

#9 ·
In one book I read, it credited the mil wanting a 9mm with the development of the commander. Colt designed the aluminum frame commander in 9mm, but then the mil decided to stick with it's .45's.
Luckily, the public liked the commander enough to keep it going :)

#10 ·
I had a Double Eagle once. It was very reliable and shot nicely. The D.A. was smooth and consistant. I think $500 is a great deal considering the gun is still in good shape (90% or so). You will never even need to fire the gun double action considering you don't use the de-cocker after you rack the slide. Because when loading a round by racking the slide, the hammer will stay cocked until you pull the trigger, there by firing single action. Parts will be hard to find, though. I would definately choose the D.E.

#11 ·
Sorry fellows, I went after the Ruger, and had enough left over for a new 12 gauge. The DE just didn't feel right and if parts are hard to find then it didn't seem worth it. If I buy a gun, I plan on running lots of rounds through it, not setting it on a shelf somewhere. If I can't find parts I would be reluctant to risk breaking a gun ie. shooting it alot.

Don't give up on me yet though my next purchase will be a Python, with out a doubt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.