1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend looking into buying a PERFECT NIB never used full size early '70's vintage, Colt .45 in an E-Nickel finish. It has the original Box, papers, etc and never fired (other than the factory) or even had a round loaded in it's mags. He asked me what it's "value" might be on this old Colt. Any ideas of what it's fair market value might be??

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
No offense, but are you sure its "e-nickle" and not "satin nickle"? There's a lot of confusion. Satin nickle was a production finish offered by Colt in the 70's and 80's and was not a very good finish. Its quite flat in appearance and shows scuffs and scratches. Its nickle applied over a copper flashing. E-nickle was a product of Colt's Custom Shop and was much richer in appearance and I believe a lot more durable, although its not been my pleasure to own one. The box label should say e-n or e-nickle. If it says satin nickle,or SN then....its the lesser of the finishes.

That said a pristine e-nickle Series 70 with box and paperwork should bring
$1200 + to the right buyer. There aren't many of them around so making a guestimate without any "comps" is tough.

If its satin nickle, then $8-$900.

Would like to see a picture--I'll bet its a handsome piece.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He saw the box and told me it was Electroless Nickel on the box. He didn't remember what exact model it was but $1200 is what I "guesstimated" to him for a perfect NIB example. He didn't remember what it's exact model name was but commented on how awesome it looked. If he buys it I'll get pics and post them here.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
E-nickle it is. To the right person it could be worth a signficant premium since I'm guess there were very few made. In fact the only pics I've seen is of e-nickle Gold Cups.

I'd bet that the model number is "01970". I have a blued version and that's what's on the box. I don't think the model number changed with finish code.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I have a model 1975 Gov't Model in E-nickel. The Mrs bought it brand new in '81 or '82 for me for Christmas. I have shot it and carried it a bit. The hammer and other controls were bue from the factory. It took me a while to get used to it, but it is my favorite gun now. I saw one for sale at a gun show a couple of years ago for $700 but it was really beat. It had been worn so much the copper was showing thru, and it was pink..whew!! I remember the model number was on the end of the box, and the box was one of those that was suppose to look like wood, but it was just cardboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts