1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got it done. I built two of them.
All parts are USGI. Frame is Essex oversize.
Frame/slide fitted. Bbl-bushing fitted.
300 rds test fired @ 100%, before I blued it.
Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I moved the Essex markings to under the grips and then engraved the USGI marks. TRied to make it look like a WW2 gun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys.
Mushinto, I am not working on 1911's anymore.
The engraving doesn't look right because I did it with a CNC engraving bit, where as the original was done with a roll-stamp.
To get rid of the essex, (legal on a title 1 firearm) Tig weld it, then grind it flat, then aneal it. Then you can engrave it.
Make sure to put all of the mfg markings back on, under the grip.

There are a few guys out there that do hand-engraving that looks identical to the factory stampings. Looks much better than the way I did it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks again guys.
The engraving doesn't look right because I did it with a CNC engraving bit, where as the original was done with a roll-stamp.
To get rid of the essex, (legal on a title 1 firearm) Tig weld it, then grind it flat, then aneal it. Then you can engrave it.

There are a few guys out there that do hand-engraving that looks identical to the factory stampings. Looks much better than the way I did it.
That may be true, but you are too modest. That is a fine looking 1911 you made there!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks again guys.

Fortunately, the frame I have for my repro already has the markings under the stocks. All I need is a good engraver as good as you.

ML

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK....if that isn't "good" engraving......then I really have a naive eye. To me it looks fantastic.

So much to learn..........

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Beautiful. Love the old GI look and feel and that one looks just sweet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts