Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 1911 slide which is marked:

COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. USA
PAT'D APR 20 1897 SEPT 9 1902. DEC. 19 1905 FEB. 14 1911 AUG. 19 1913
CAL 45 AUTOMATIC

The opposite (ejection port) side is marked:

EXERCITO BRASILEIRO No. 90xx

It also has the Brazilian Crest on it.

Anybody have any idea how much it's worth? Thanks.

It appears that it's a very rare slide and from what I saw, it's in very
good condition. No pitting, etc. Here's some info I found on it:

Early Brazilian Colt pistols have a C prefix, they should have a Brazilian Crest, and be marked : EXERCITO BRASILEIRO on the right of the slide. They were also numbered on the slide from 1 - 14500

14,500 pistols were purchased by the Brazilian Army. They were selected from the serial number range C188000 - C209000 randomly. They should have the Brazilian Crest and EXERCITO BRASILEIRO on the right side of the slide. They should also have a Brazilian Issue number on the slide (1 - 14500). The year is also found under the Exercito Brasileiro marking on the slide (such as 1937 etc.) These were used mainly by the Brazilian Expeditionary Forces in Italy during WW II. The US Army recovered some of them off of the battlefields in Italy and refurbished them for US Army use.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Where did you get that info?

·
Registered
217 Posts
The same silde on my first 1911, put on an 'Auto Ordnance' frame bought in 1991 for $250. I think Colt contracted the original pistols for South American Markets. But I'm no expert... YMMV

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Although you don't see them everyday, I wouldn't call them rare. The Brazilians purchased over 15000 pistols from Colt during the 1930's. Most were Government Model improved configuration and have "C" prefixed serial numbers. A small number are M1911 style which also have "C" serial number prefixes. During WWII Brazil also received some Lend Lease pistols. In the early 1960's they began to make their own copy of the Gov't Model but those slides identify them as such. During the 1970's they changed over to 9mm ammo and converted many of the Colt and domestic made .45 pistols to that cartridge by changing the slide, barrel, ejector, and magazine. It's pretty easy to do. The slides were then imported by companies like SARCO and I used to see them at gun shows and a local gunsmith's shop fairly frequently. From there point they were mated with a variety of frames which will almost always guaranty some interesting stories.

The info the op has posted in blue lettering comes right out of Clawson's The Government Models.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Although you don't see them everyday, I wouldn't call them rare. The Brazilians purchased over 15000 pistols from Colt during the 1930's. Most were Government Model improved configuration and have "C" prefixed serial numbers. A small number are M1911 style which also have "C" serial number prefixes. During WWII Brazil also received some Lend Lease pistols. In the early 1960's they began to make their own copy of the Gov't Model but those slides identify them as such. During the 1970's they changed over to 9mm ammo and converted many of the Colt and domestic made .45 pistols to that cartridge by changing the slide, barrel, ejector, and magazine. It's pretty easy to do. The slides were then imported by companies like SARCO and I used to see them at gun shows and a local gunsmith's shop fairly frequently. From there point they were mated with a variety of frames which will almost always guaranty some interesting stories.

The info the op has posted in blue lettering comes right out of Clawson's The Government Models.
Are all of the slides you described here forged?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated, this particular slide is one of the original 14,500 send to
Brazil. 69 years later and still in nice shape, I'd say it's pretty rare.

So, getting back to the original question, what's it worth?

$200-$300? More?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

$200-$300? More?
Who knows? There's no fixed price on these things. It always comes back to what the buyer will pay and the seller will accept. You don't find stuff like this at Wal-Mart and the prices are set by the last transaction...maybe or maybe not. I have one I bought in the last year or so and paid less than $200. As I mentioned, they're not all that rare. Besides, it's a slide that in all probability will be mated to a frame that is a mismatch and we call those mixmasters or shooter grade guns. But, you never know, you might me up with a slide collector.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
If you could find the original serialed frame, you'd have something. As is, it's an interesting conversation piece, but it is numbered and so can't really be a replacement for anything else. I'd say it's worth $200 and up as a replacement slide to complete and make a 1911 functional. Nothing wrong with that, and an interesting light on Colt's activities in South America. CC

·
Registered
73 Posts

$200-$300? More?
I would say more like $65.00-75.00.

However, this will bear a little more research on my part as I have a bunch of these slides and didn't have much luck selling them a few years back.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Model 1 sales has new and take off Brazilian replacement slides for 1911s (serial numbered) for $75.00 to $85.00. The new ones are not made by Colt. They are made by the same armory that makes Springfield, Inc. 1911s. Obviously forged and machined. Don't know about the used ones.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Model 1 sales has new and take off Brazilian replacement slides for 1911s (serial numbered) for $75.00 to $85.00. The new ones are not made by Colt. They are made by the same armory that makes Springfield, Inc. 1911s. Obviously forged and machined. Don't know about the used ones.
Ya... we are talking about Colt made back a time ago, not Imbel modern production.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
A complete Brazil Property M1911A1 would be a nice collector piece! To my knowledge they were Colt-produced prior to WW2, USGI during the war, and produced domestically after WW2. I've no clue to licenses.

The Brazilian-produced (vs marked) M1911s are the genesis of the Springfield Armory Inc M1911 pistols. Just like the Brazilian M92 Berettas are the genesis of the Taurus line.

In the first case the government company that is now called IMBEL, produced the M1911A1 for domestic use by the armed forces after WW2 (during which the USA equipped the expeditionary forces). They produced the M1911A1 originally in .45ACP but later changed to 9mm for a few years until adopting the original Beretta M92 as their service pistol.

Similar to the way Beretta has a factory in the USA to manufacture the M9, Beretta built a factory in Brazil to produce that pistol. Imbel stopped producing the 9mm (and other) M1911A1s but I'm pretty sure IMBEL kept the M1911A1 tooling, at least the dies for drop forging the frames and slides, and now produce these for Springfield Armory. Taurus bought the Beretta factory and rights to the design for that pistol.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
479 Posts
Model 1 has both new and used takeoffs. I suspect the used slides include both Colt and Imbel. I believe the slides were discarded when the .45s were converted to 9mm. Anyway, it is a cheap source of slides, though they do have the aggressive tool marks inside/underneath as do the Springfield GIs. The point is the price.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Model 1 has both new and used takeoffs. I suspect the used slides include both Colt and Imbel. I believe the slides were discarded when the .45s were converted to 9mm. Anyway, it is a cheap source of slides, though they do have the aggressive tool marks inside/underneath as do the Springfield GIs. The point is the price.
Your point is not valid as we are talking about 1950's era colt slide marked for brazil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts