1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does Colt charge for a letter on a 'Colt Custom' SS Combat Commander?
TIA

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Unless something changed since I got a Colt Letter last year, it's $100 and they quote a 90-day turnaround. Mine took at least that long, IIRC.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
These are letters from the Colt historian which detail when the gun was produced, what features it had when shipped, where it was shipped to and when, and any other special features.

tipoc

·
Registered
42 Posts
Would they tell you the same information if it were US Property and shipped to a miliary department?..I mean I know it was shipped to the military and I don't need to send $100 in to have them tell me that..thanks..all5x

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If it's a GI gun it may not be worth it. As you know where it came from and can actually trace it by the serial number to when and where it was shipped. SNs for the GI guns are listed in a number of books. Go over to the GI part of the forum here with a pic of the gun and ask for more info there.

However if the gun is marked Dwight D. Eisenhower or some such you might want a letter.

tipoc

·
Registered
18 Posts
How would one go about getting one of these letters? I am unsure how to contact the Colt historian.

For those who haven't seen the images, I recently got a two toned Commander Gold Cup with fixed sights and I'm thinking about getting a factory letter for it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The cost of the letter depends on the age of the gun. Members of the Colt Collectors Assoc get a discount. In my opinion, the cost of a letter for a recent production gun is not worth it (other than for the rich curious). The purpose for these letters is to document the originality of an older (ie collectible) firearm. Most of those letters are bought for Colt SAAs in which barrels, cylinders, calibers, etc can be readily changed. Most of the changes for a 1911/1911A1 will be obvious to the astute collector. And current/recent guns are not seen as collectibles. Purchasers of most recent Colts are not really interested in where the firearm was shipped to such as Joe's Gun Shop, Anycity, USA and when. In fact, probably this info can be obtained by phone (but not in writing) for free from Colt. Last fall I purchased a NIB 1989 Colt Tank Officers model in which only 350 were made (cmbt cmdr frame and off slide) and found out it's whereabouts via phone which the History office of Colt. For collectors the letter is another test of authenticity. But it can also lead to misinformation. At times a Colt (or an 1873 Winchester in my case) can be purchased new and immediately returned to the factory for customizing but the letter of authenticity will not have this info. So a factory customized Colt will differ from the letter and then it may be seen as not original and an altered gun, when in fact it is a factory Colt. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts