1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent the last 3 weeks riding motorcycles out west so as usual if there were any pawn shops, gun stores,gun shows etc. i allways have to stop and look.I picked this old Colt up in Sundance Wyoming,have not ever gave the old Colt revolvers much thought but after looking and fondling this piece of history i had to have it.It also came with a period correct holster and belt.Called Colt and they said shipped in 1896 so i ordered a letter for more info.It is tight as a drum and the patina is great for a 119 year old Colt.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,155 Posts
Nice. I have a '97 Frontier Six Shooter that was rebuilt on a new frame in the '50s. Not much but the cylinder & grip straps are original.
I shot some factory ammo through it in the '80s, but shoot only black powder, now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
A very good 4¾" .44WCF not current with a one piece wood for that period?
Mine has a 7.5" barrel shipped in 1897, very good mechanically.
Few years ago I shot this SAA loaded with BP, Colt warranty for smokeless around 1900, I did not try BP substitute, not sure!
Now this gun is on retreat.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Congrats!! I love old Colt SAA. I have a "youngster", as mine was made in 1905, in 38 WCF caliber. I am a handloader, and load some soft rounds for mine, as I soooo enjoy shooting it. The bore looks like a sewer pipe, but I don't care, because it shoots to POA.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In my .44WCF SAA 1897, I loaded as follow:
Brass:WW
Primer: CCI 300 LP
Bullet: 200gr. Wheel Weight .428"
Powder: Swiss Black Powder #2 (FFF)
Loading 33.0 grains ( impossible to load 40.0 grains with modern brass, should use balloon brass)
OAL: 1'787"

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I load with Trail Boss powder for my 38 WCF and it fills the case, yet is a soft shooting round.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i thought about that also considering where i found it,will know a little more history when Colt sends the letter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yea i thought about that also considering where i found it,will know a little more history when Colt sends the letter.
Yes that is the wish of every collectors to have the background of these old firearms.
About Simmons & Hardware in St Louis, Mo, don't know if they still exist today or under another name?
And if they kept records on delivery places.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nice find, Walnut grips were not standard by the 1890's so if they are original to the OP's pistol they should letter accordingly.

Unless nonstandard, the early pistols will usually not specify either barrel length or type of grips because a 7 1/2 in barrel and Walnut grips were standard at that time.

I have an 1884 shipped (JP Moore) etched panel CFSS that letters just as described above

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondering,those of you that are in the know on these old Colts are the longer barrels or shorter barrels more desirable?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just wondering,those of you that are in the know on these old Colts are the longer barrels or shorter barrels more desirable?
I think it depends on the vintage.

The early guns were mostly 7.5 in so a real early factory 4.75 in pistol could be very desirable.

By the mid 1890's the shorter barrel pistols were much more common.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,155 Posts
I think TV/movie westerns have made the short barrels more desireable, as perhaps more closely linked to "gunfighters", lawmen, etc.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
color me green with envy for both the 3 week motorcycle trip and the colt. I took a 1 week trip with my father a few weeks ago. Rode all through new Hampshire, Vermont, and maine. Time flies by on two wheels.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
Mine's an 1898 in .45. I got it for almost nothing. The seller had been insultingly low-balled by a gunshop because once upon a time, some toad had scratched his driver's license number into it.

So I got it for slightly more than diddly squat. I don't give a crap about the DL number.

Life is good when you don't get uptight over piddly issues!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one i have someone has tried to scratch some initials in the bottom of the grips wish it was (Sundance Kid)lol

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
color me green with envy for both the 3 week motorcycle trip and the colt. I took a 1 week trip with my father a few weeks ago. Rode all through new Hampshire, Vermont, and maine. Time flies by on two wheels.
When we go to Sturgis we normally stay 3 weeks and park the toyhauler and ride for at least a week to places we have not been to before.Then after getting back we party around the campground and other places close by.This year we went doen into Colorado and back up through Wyoming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts