1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the frame coating on a new Colt Defender, it sure strikes me as a cheap, cheesy finish. I've read reports from Defender owners ref. flaking of this finish.
Is there any way to find out who keeps making these less than stellar decisions at Colt? Maybe they could be given an adequate severance package and a ref. to some other line of work. ACORN, maybe?
I remain a fan of Colt pistols, really, and always hope that good things will come out of Hartford. If I didn't care for the company, I wouldn't take the time to complain about em'.
They say a Marine isn't happy unless he's bitchin'. :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I love my Colts too, but don't love the company no matter what they do..
They've done some stuff, and made some that they shouldn't have and I'm glad the quality of some others is making snap out of it..
The reports that they're getting better are all over the place..
Maybe they listen when people complain but complaints should come after they've given a chance to make it right too..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
i haven't seen the type of finish you talk about, but from a business perspective, i can make a reasonable guess that the powers that be have made a business ($$$) decision that cosmetics on certain parts do not affect the function of the gun, so why spend money on a more expensive finish when they cannot recoup that added expense when they sell the gun? or, they are establishing that there will be different levels of finish, with corresponding prices, the shinier and prettier the more expensive.

this is all a guess.

that said, if they are selling all they make, and making money on all they sell, that's a business success. if you don't agree with their methods of making money by selling certain types of guns, set up your own company to cater to your perceived audience of potential buyers (either functional, "ugly" guns, or functional "pretty" guns....), and see if you can make a buck. Ronnie Barrett had an idea, he pursued it, and found success with his 50 cal rifle design. if you are smart and willing to work hard, you too can do likewise.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i haven't seen the type of finish you talk about, but from a business perspective, i can make a reasonable guess that the powers that be have made a business ($$$) decision that cosmetics on certain parts do not affect the function of the gun, so why spend money on a more expensive finish when they cannot recoup that added expense when they sell the gun? or, they are establishing that there will be different levels of finish, with corresponding prices, the shinier and prettier the more expensive.

this is all a guess.

that said, if they are selling all they make, and making money on all they sell, that's a business success. if you don't agree with their methods of making money by selling certain types of guns, set up your own company to cater to your perceived audience of potential buyers (either functional, "ugly" guns, or functional "pretty" guns....), and see if you can make a buck. Ronnie Barrett had an idea, he pursued it, and found success with his 50 cal rifle design. if you are smart and willing to work hard, you too can do likewise.
Well Sir, this ain't about ME. Its about an American company with unmatched name recognition, ate up with lawyers and unions.
Seems they can't help but throw some idiotic feature into their lineup.
C'mon, wheres the sense in the duckbill safety, for example? After all these years of 1911 production, and the success of other 1911 manufacturers, you'd reckon they might have a clue as to what their followers will buy up.
I wouldn't consider earning bad blood over recalls and sloppy QC to be "Business success", not if you're trying for repeat customers.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
It is funny that Colt has belatedly (what, 10 years behind the power curve? realized that customers want to be able to mount lights and lasers to their handguns. Maybe it will take them another 10 years to figure out the duckbill vs beavertail thing :D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
last i checked, Colt was a privately held firm. there is no test for fidelity to the past or "wise" decisions when it comes to companies trying to make a profit.

i own several Colts, i'd suggest a well written letter to Colt might get you a reply and an explanation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
There have been a few reports here and there about this problem with the frame finish. We haven't had huge numbers of such reports, but we can only read about it from those who choose to report it.

I'd like to think that it was systemic and widespread, we would have heard about it somewhere.

My Defender is carried all day everyday, in a hot humid climate. I don't do anything special to it at all, and it's holding up fine.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Looking at the frame coating on a new Colt Defender, it sure strikes me as a cheap, cheesy finish.
Your opinion, and that is fine. I, on the other hand, really don't see a nice teflon coated aluminum frame as cheap or cheesy.

I have had 2 Defenders.....one when they first came out and one I have now that is around 5 years old.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the finish on either frame.

They say a Marine isn't happy unless he's bitchin'.
Yes, I have noticed that about you and Colt pistols.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I,ve had a set of grips prdered from colt for almost 2 months now and i keep getting told its shipped but no tracking info of grips and my card was charged. 2 times they told me they "would call me right back " needless to say no calls....
Bob

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have several COlt products in the safe and love them however they are all over 50 years old some over 100. As much as I love the old Colts I gave up on anything from them as far as new stuff back in the mid 1990s and they have not showed me anything to make me change my mind. I wish it were different it really sucks when you want to like something but just can not.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
First off, I don't understand the hostility to the OP. He noted something that is substandard in what he perceived and posted it in a public forum which we all should know and he got that response!

Like him, I am irritated that Colt keeps missing in its QC and this after so many years of them making the same products. Granted they maybe selling all they are producing but that is no excuse. I bought 3 Colt 1991s over a span of several years and would have bought more, but the supposed " improve quality " we keep reading in this forum is/was not bourne out by what I've seen out there.

I am in the market again looking for another 1911 type of gun, and I just put out one of my 1991s (stainless) into consignment because of many irritating issues not remedied by Colt after I've sent the gun back to them.

I just came back from checking out several dealers (4), looking to replace my stainless 1991. BUT from ALL these dealers, and talking to almost over 30 people just today, its really disheartening how everyone holds the COLT in such low esteem. AND these are not armchair commandos either. These are cops, ex-cops, marines, ex-marines.(I am accessible to Travis Air Base in Fairfield, California). There are several shooting ranges/gun dealers in the area where these people hang out. Everyone were shooting some other brands of 1911s other than Colts.

I just honestly hope that Colt will really improve their products otherwise, their downfall will be their own making.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hopefully Colt will get their crap together as their attitude is a little like the auto industry's was and well, that hasn't worked out really well for them now has it?

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your opinion, and that is fine. I, on the other hand, really don't see a nice teflon coated aluminum frame as cheap or cheesy.

I have had 2 Defenders.....one when they first came out and one I have now that is around 5 years old.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the finish on either frame.

Yes, I have noticed that about you and Colt pistols.
You've a sharp eye! :)
Congrats on those Defenders. I'm hoping my son's Defender is reliable.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Old roll marks

New Roll marks..

Any Questions? and almost every one needs new sights and grip safeties and trigger work..I haven't bought NEW a Colt in a long time..
I like the new XSEs but what's the idea with the front holster ripping serrations?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I haven't bought NEW a Colt in a long time...
I know what you're saying, zenfly... and it's mostly true. The rollmarks are irritating, no doubt. However, I bought a new Commander (O4691) recently and its overall fit, finish (outside of the cratered rollmarks) and lockup are superior to most of my early vintage Colts. It's much tighter and more accurate than my stock, like-new 70's-vintage Combat Commander.

I also bought a new .38 Super Government Model (O2991) within the past two years. It too is a fine product... in fact I sold my Clackamas Kimber to finance the deal. Call me crazy, but...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Colts refuses to upgrade there products is nothing new it's been going on at lest as the twentys and thirtys.
When Elmer Keith offered his custom single actions for them to copy his improvements.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Figured I'd report the good on the Defender. My son put 100 rounds of WWB and MagTech FMJ thru the little pistol today. He reports 100% function and good accuracy. :rock:
I reckon my dehorn job worked as he reported no problems with sharp edges.
It works and hits what its aimed at.

·
Banned
290 Posts
Well, let me put it this way, if Colt was the only 1911 maker left in the planet, I would not have one! The quality of the two Colts I had this year was horrible (O4691 and O4012XSE), and their customer service and service shop were tied up ranking on top of my worst experience ever!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts