1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work gave me an old Colt Gold Cup National Match in 38 special, Ser # 5337-MR. Where can I find more info on this gun (worth)?

It has National Match Colt, Automatic, 38 special mid range printed on the slide. The barrel has Colt .38 Spec. N.M. Mark III. The top of the rear sight is stamped "Elliason"

He wants me to sell it for him. I need more info on it. It has the original box in poor condition. The gun itself is in good condition except for some rust pits on the outside of the slide and handle around the grips.

Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by D. GUESS (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Blue book list it as 100%=1,000; 98%=895; 95%=775. also add 10% with original box and papers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too bad about the rust, he have any spare mags?
I'm curious what he'd take for it, any way to post some pics to determine how bad the rust is?
Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
D.Guess

Your friends pistol is one of the unusual ones Colt has made, if not one of the rare. For more information on the pistol I suggest visiting the well stocked gun stores and looking in the book section, or going to one of your local area gun shows, the bigger the better, and looking at the books on 1911s. There are a few out there that have good information on the various models that have been produced.

The little I have heard from a friend, who has one of these pistols. It has ben a while since I was told this information so take it with a grain of salt. Colt made about 7,500 pistols, and sold 5,000 of them to the US Govt. I was told they went to the State Department, though we are really guessing they went to the CIA.

One small item that needs to updated in your description is the caliber. While your information on the slide markings is correct, these pistols are not chambered for any 38 Special ammo. They are chambered for 38 Special Wad Cutter only.

Another interesting thing about these pistols is they use a blow back design, not the standard locking barrel of a .45ACP arrangment.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. I will work on posting some pics by this afternoon. I have scoured the internet and have not been able to find info on this gun.

There is only one mag with the gun. No manual. It looks like water had dripped on the box enough to make the gun rust in spots. It's in great condition except for those spots. I have not stripped it yet to examine the inner workings. The left side of the slide has a big patch of pitting over the lettering. The right side only has two minor places where it pitted. There are also many places around the wood grips. The box contained a wrench for the bushing and a small L-shaped hex key.

Str8,
Thanks. I'll have to go find some books. The gunsmith he took it to to have the rust removed said they do not make the bullets for the gun anymore. Are 38 spec. wad cutter still available? I'll have to check. I'd like to take it to the range. My friend tried regular 38's and he said they didn't fit.

Monte in Anchorage,
My friend at work told me to take it to the gun show and trade it for a .22 plinker like a Ruger! He just wants something to plink with. He told me I could keep whatever else I made on the deal.
I'm thinking about giving him my S&W L22A .22 cal and keeping the gun for myself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good choice too trade for this Colt..They were made from 1961 to 1974.. it was Colt`s attempt to match Simth & Wessons fine Model 52 bullseye pistol. It only fires 38 mid range wadcutter ammo..Mine was made in 1961 and I have been offered $1200 for it, but it`s not for sale..look at gun shows for magazines, no good to anyone but owners of this pistol...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information Gunny. I'll pick up a book to learn more about it. I stripped it and the internal parts look great.

You can see pics here:
http://dongu.homestead.com/goldcup2.html

Maybe somebody can estimate what % condition it is in based on the pics. Thanks for everybody's help!

I give up trying to post a pic.

[This message has been edited by D. GUESS (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure looks like a nice find..Could be you could send it to Colt and have it refinished, or post here for a good place too send it off too.......

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You have a great old Colt target pistol. It was made to shoot 38 special wadcutters and it did it quite well too. The ammo is still more than available, it just plain ole 38sp wadcutter. Your friend has a better plinker in the Colt than the Ruger especially if he reloads, but then thats my opinion. You would do good to make that trade with him, you would come out on top by a long shot.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'll do you a favor and give you $50.00 bucks for that old thing.

I'll even pay for shipping. I'm just a guy that wants to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orion said:
I'll do you a favor and give you $50.00 bucks for that old thing.

I'll even pay for shipping. I'm just a guy that wants to help.
That's a generous offer. However, I would hate to take advantage to you. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts