1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colt Gold Cup National Match MK IV Series 70 .45 pistol front sight has snapped off, it must have worked a tiny bit loose prior to my last range trip, to which I never took note of. This Stuff happens I suppose but its really hard to look at! I've searched Gunparts Corp.(Numrich) for a replacement without any real luck, all my searches have come up empty on to where I can find an exact replacement for my Gold Cup, I'd really like to keep it as near as possible to the original as I can. Granted this gun will never be sold (but passed to my son) but it original factory condition is a must for me, I've stressed to him on never modifying its original form, but keeping it as it came out the box(which I also still have), so this new sight is very important to me. Can any gunsmith or Colt 1911 Uber out there point me to a replacement or a Gunsmith the can make a replacement for my Colt MK IV Series 70. Regards -

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colt GoldCup MK IV replacement front sight?

Thanks for the brownell website thats a real gold mine for just about everything gun related under the sun. This original gold cup front sight had stayed put for approximately 15,000+ rounds without a hitch, my negligence on not noticing it loosening up has caused this for sure. I've secured a new staked in high profile sight like the original Gold Cup's, I've got another question on the installing the new sight would you have the gunsmith use brownells epoxy around the gun sight when repairing or silver solder? I'm really trying to maintain the original finish that is in perfect condition and I've heard silver solder will cause problems with the original bluing on the gun, whats your take on expoxy with the installed sight? And my final question is it possible to get another 15,000 rounds out of the gun before the sight loosens up again, I'm starting to realize the staked sight is not the strongest method of installation. Thanks for your help - regards

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Briarthorn,
A good gunsmith can install a stake-on site without damaging the finish on the top of the slide. However, when the stem is blended inside the slide, some bluing will come off. I'm sure you can ask your smith to cold blue that area. A properly staked front site should last way more than 15,000 rounds. I wouldn't even bother with silver soldering.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi, silver solder will require you to reblue the slide cause of the heat. Why don't you call Colt and send the slide to them(the slide is NOT a gun as far as shipping regs. go):rock:The broken front sight is a COMMON problem on Colt slides. The two I have broken Colt replaced for FREE and that was with return S&H.
Post up what Colt does or sez.
LG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colt Gold Cup National Match MK IV sight?

I had already found an original Goldcup front sight in the middle of these posts, I did call Colt's service rep and was told to send it in they would have one of their shop smiths look it over for the repair. Well I have a local gunsmith actually which I give all my work, Colt would have most certainly done this without a charge, but I feel if the original sight finally broke off after 15 to 20K's I won't trouble Colt. Concluding my local smith is like a starving artist and his family could use the $bucks especially this time of year I betcha, shouldn't be that expensive to fix. As for the silver soldering thanks for the info I'll remember that as I don't want to monkey with the Colts bluing. Thank you all for the information "one other thing in parting" I purchased 1500 Speer flying ashtrays awhile back, its an awesome looking hollow point and I hear they are not manufactured anymore, I run them thru my 45 Long Colt single action but for the life of me I can't get them to function in any of my 1911's. I was reading on the Sig forum I think, that they do work flawlessly in the 220 Sig, just was wondering what gives on the feed problem. regards briarthorn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts