1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My high mileage series 80 Gold Cup NM pitched its front sight blade some time ago. I was unable to recover the sight. I dropped the 45 off at a local smith who installed a replacement sight blade (brand unknown). After firing only several mags of softballs this sight blade was also ejected to parts unknown. Though trijicon does list replacement sights (#ca-16) for the GCNM, I would prefer to keep the "stock" Elliason sights, provided that a Colt front sight blade can be located. Anyone know where I can get the unique GCNM front sight blade? Has anyone tried the trijicon #ca-16 adj. night sights on a GCNM?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
teddy, you may actually be able to get it from Colt. They won't sell folks some parts, but others they will - if they have 'em. Don't know about that sight - you'd just have to call 'em.

While I'm at it, if your rear site gives when you mash down on it, you can cut some rubber tubing small enough that it won't show and install it under the back of the rear site as sort of a shock absorber. Might help keep it going as long as possible.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hi.. Send the slide in to a gunsmith and have the front sight machined for a dove tail cut.. Problem solved plus it gives you many more options of what front sight you can use or change to.. I did this to my Gold Cup

·
Registered
516 Posts
After several thousand rounds of major power factor + 10mm the front sight on my Delta Gold Cup disappeared on the last stage of a match. I called Colt, sent them the slide, and they replaced the front sight and shipped it back to me at no charge. All I was out was the cost to mail it to them. Their lifetime warranty started after this gun was manufactured but I put a sentence in the letter saying that I looked forward to having the gun repaired at no charge. Give it a try.

Something else I read here was to clean up the inside of the slide really well and let some Loctite 290 wick in around the stakes to strengthen the joint. I think I'll give that a try, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigJon/tigercat200 - thanks for the tips, wasn't even sure Colt was still in the handgun business. You rarely hear about the company any more. venuto - maybe that would be a functional option, but i would be very hesitant to allow my 22 yr old piece to be machined like that. Detrimental to the appearance of the gun & non-reversible at that. JMO. dfariswheel - thanks for the link. Not sure if my GC's front sight tenon hole is wide or narrow. It's been sitting at the smith's since July due to his backlog of work/and or inability to find the proper sight. Time is not the concern, getting the gun fixed properly is. By the way, how did you determine that #160-111-021 on brownell's site is a wide tenon sight. I did notice they listed Colt as manufacturer. THANKS FOR HELP & COMMENTS GUYS!

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
I agree and stay with the tenon sights when that's what's there especially with the top of slide treatment of the GC. Here's one that I like and use the green fiber as they change in seconds.

http://www.hivizsights.com/Colt-1911-C24.aspx

LOG

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Regarding getting the staking right on original Colt front sights. I used to work in an American Pistolsmith Guild Charter Member's shop who was also an Authorized Colt Repair Station. He found that the Colt front sight WILL NOT come off if installed properly, using this method.

1.) Remove old front sight if needed (can be twisted off in a vise and the tenon punched through the slide from the top - it is basically a rivet.). Clean up the underside of the tenon hole area in the slide and dish it very slightly with a Foredom or Dremel to make room for a full rivet, noting the amount of metal and area you will swage into.

2.) Clean and degrease the tenon in the slide throughly. Just before using the installation tool, apply Loctite (he used red). (Loctite pre-application fluid can improve the bond even further.)

3.) The real secret - Use the Trijicon Front Sight Staking Tool. He had 100% success and has NEVER had a front sight shoot loose if he used this tool in over 20 years. This unit swages the front sight tenon fully. This is not to say another method or tool will not work. If a perfect "rivet" head is formed and there is no movement possible, it's going to stay on.

Assuming you have chosen the correct front sight height, this is far superior to a dovetailed front sight, which can be knocked sideways unless pinned, and requires a great more work. Plus, machining costs more and is not as elegant or pretty! CC

·
Registered
516 Posts
steadyteddy.............Colt is indeed still in the handgun business. I go to their website and drool over the Combat Elite every now and again. If it only came in 10MM!!! Maybe, next year if the rumor mill is right.

I think it was only 2 or 3 weeks from when I mailed them my slide until I got it back. Whatever it was was faster than they had told me. Sort of like Mr. Scott on Star Trek.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/

Colt Customer Service: (860) 236-6311

1 - 10 of 10 Posts