1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting a Bullseye/Range pistol that can be holstered on occasion and have narrowed my choices down to the S/S Colt Gold Cup and the S/S S&W Target (108284). I'm leaning toward the Smith based solely on what most people have reported concerning their warranty/customer service. I'd appreciate any input/advice/suggestion regarding this decision.

· Registered
608 Posts
well the Smith & Wesson offers more value for the money compared to the Colt

Smith's quality is also more stable

you could get an awesome Gold Cup, but then again ... on the other hand you'll be almost 100% certain to get an awesome Smith

I'd buy the S&W and use the money you have left to maybe upgrade the piece (if even necessary)

the only thing I like more on the Gold Cup is the absence of front cocking serrations, but I learned to live with that on my S&W

· Registered
8,302 Posts
S&W gets my nod also on this.

I have two S&W's (basic stainless and 1911PD) and they are both excellant for the money spent and very accurate shooting weapons.

I have seen a couple of good Gold Cups at the range, but I am one of those who got a "it might have been a good one" Colt GCNM and honestly both of S&W's above will shoot circles around it and they are fixed sight guns, not even target sighted. But, the G C N M can be brought up to snuff if you do get a bummer and you might get a winner right off the top.

I still think that the better gun is the S&W but which one really grabs you personally?

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which grabs me the most? Well, like [email protected], I'm not big on the front serrations. Nor do I care for ambidextrous safetys. But what I do like is the checkered mainspring housing and front grip strap as on the Smith Target.
Unfortunately, the two requirements I insist on are reliability and accuracy (which some argue, is a contradiction in terms); attributes that are not readily discernible by outward appearance.
I'm happy with a blued , Series 70 Gold Cup I bought new in 1973 but finally got rid of a Government model I bought new in 1969 that I could never get to shoot reliably. I've owned plenty of S&W products over the years (still do, of course) but never one of their 1911 clones. There's probably no definitive answer for my "dilemma" so I'm trying to research other people's experiences (I posed the same question in the Colt manufacturers forum).
All of which is why the mostly positive feed-back from Smith owners concerning Smith's customer service will probably be the most important factor in my decision. But I'm trying to remain open-minded so all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

· Registered
497 Posts
I have that model gun. I bought it because I wanted wood grips. It's their target model. Mine shoots to point of aim, and is far more accurate than I can shoot it. I have springfieds,paras, colts,and a randal. None are close to S&W 1911, in accuracy and hitting were I am aiming.I really like my Smith, the only thing I don't like is the full length guide rod. Which I swaped out this week for Ed Brown parts. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.