1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new on this forum, yesterday i bougth my first 1911.
A Colt Gold Cup NM Series 70 (made in 1976). I haven't fired the gun yet, its still at the gunsmith for some accuracy tuning (Gunsmith M.Drummen in the netherands).
There is something i was wondering about on the Series 70 GC, they were hand fitted and build for match accuracy, but can you compare the accuracy of an out of the box Gold Cup with something like a Wilson Combat or so ?

Greetz
Péke

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Péke, welcome
Just going by my experience the S70 Colt GC did not have a hand fit barrel as do the Wilson’s. Doesn't your Gold Cup have a drop-in finger bushing? After your gunsmith tightens up the barrel and bushing tolerance issues you should have a gun that is just as accurate as the Wilson’s or others and much better looking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my GC has a finger bushing yes.
How does the Series 70 GC compete to the current Gold Cup's and the XSE ... is the xse so much better than a GC ? :confused:

Sorry this my al sound silly for u guys but i'm pretty new on the 1911 scene and want a little background info on what my gun is capable of :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The new GC's have a firing pin safety and yours does not, so your trigger pull will be better. :)

I have one like yours and it's very well finished, polished blueing, etc. Better than the current Colts and the XSE is not a better gun.

Your gunsmith can make it more accurate than a Wilson if you wish. It depends on the condition and how much you want to have done.

I would recommend that your gunsmith replace the "pin" that holds the adjustable sight with a solid pin. They are known to break.

Getting rid of the steel trigger with a lightweight one doesn't hurt either.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts