1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I need some advice. I have a 12 year old Colt gold cup. From the beginning I have had problems with the Eliason sights. The pin breaks after 100 rounds. I have replaced that pin at least a half a dozen times, including using loctite to hold it in place. One local smith told me I must be using hot loads.(I reload and shoot mild softball loads). I called colt and they told me they recognize the problems with the Eliason sights and offered they a 12 pack of pins. Here is what I want to do:
1. Replace the sights with a set of target sights(novacks etc).
2. Replace the hammer with a commander style hammer.
3. I like to tune up the gun to tighten things up to increase accuracy.

Anybody know a good ,moderately priced gunsmith to perform these services. I live in the NY AREA. I do not have the skills or tools to do the work myself.

Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
BIGLOU,
I know others will give you some good references for a 'smith in your area, but wanted to mention something you need to be aware of. There are only two rear sights that are big enough to cover the original rear sight cut: a Wilson adjustable or a Witchita.
I don't know if Witchita is still in business, or not; but the Wilson would be my pick, regardless. Anything else either has to have some of the original sight cut in the slide filled with weld, or it's still a design that uses the cross pin, which is your problem to begin with.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
841 Posts
A very common modification on the Eliason sight is to have a solid pin installed instead of a roll pin. My gunsmith charges me $20 to do it. I have had even that solid pin break with time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts