1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the pm every colt guy likes from Brent....your pistol has shipped. So eitherthis afternoon or ttomorrow I will have all my 1911s back, first time in like 2 years. Anyways for the meat and potatos, I had the colt ccustom shop do a little tweaking on my stainless gunsite. It came without the gold cup serrations which was a mistake. So I shipped it back and figured while it was there I'd have them make it my perfect ideal carry gun. I had them fit an EGW carry bushing, undercut the trigger guard, cerakote the slide black and do the front strap serrations. I had the local smith put in a front night site and had a longer trigger installed. I'm sure I destroyed the collector value but I increased its carry-ability and now is the ideal carry gun. I will post pics upon its return.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Congrats......yup.....pics.

Wish mine had been shipped without FCS. I sent my slide to ToolTech (Trijicon's custom shop) and had nites drilled and installed in the factory black sights. Put in a long trigger and skateboard tape on the front strap.....over 45K rds through it and no malfs with any factory rds.....fmj or jhp's. Only malf's it's had were with my 255 lswc+P pin loads. Initially getting the oal figured out, then the old mags had weak springs and couldn't keep up with the slide velocity. New heavy mag springs and 100% reliable again....or ever since.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just got the pm every colt guy likes from Brent....your pistol has shipped. So eitherthis afternoon or ttomorrow I will have all my 1911s back, first time in like 2 years. Anyways for the meat and potatos, I had the colt ccustom shop do a little tweaking on my stainless gunsite. It came without the gold cup serrations which was a mistake. So I shipped it back and figured while it was there I'd have them make it my perfect ideal carry gun. I had them fit an EGW carry bushing, undercut the trigger guard, cerakote the slide black and do the front strap serrations. I had the local smith put in a front night site and had a longer trigger installed. I'm sure I destroyed the collector value but I increased its carry-ability and now is the ideal carry gun. I will post pics upon its return.
Great news, Brent still has my Gunsite. Like you, had some warranty issues addressed and figured while it's there have some work done. I was hoping for Christmas, but doesn't look like it. It's only been about 8 months. It's going to be a work gun so I want it reliable. Let them take as long as they need.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Sounds like you made some great choices. My GSP was stupid reliable, that is what they're built for. Front sight will help, and fitted bushing will 'get 'er dun'.
But DAMN that wait...no trusty 'smiths near by?:scratch:

Please don't let anyone think there is any collector value to Gunsight pistols.... might be small $$ value for marked Ted Yost, but factory Colt Gunsights won't out run the price increases from Gunsight. JUST MY OPINION

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Merry Christmas to you my friend!!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you and merry Christmas to you too! I do have a really good smith about 20 min away. I had him do up my colt compact 1991. I just figured to have Colt do it since they had it already. Its been there since March but I have enough other Colts to hold me over. Ultra you lucky dog get to use a 1911 at work. Im totally jealous.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
If you had a Gunsite with the standard vertical serrations then yes, you had a possible collector's item. However as with most things that eventually become valuable you'll never live long enough to reap the benefits, so it pays to just do what you like with it and enjoy it. Looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've also a Colt Gunsite. Needless to say I love it too. The only thing that I've changed are the grips, but still have the originals.

I'm also looking forward to your photos.
Merry Christmas to y'all!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have the originals on it right now but when I get it home I have a few sets for it. I have some nice dyed box elder burl grips with texas medallions and some vz double diamonds in black. I hope the gunstore calls soon with good news that its in.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
OP

No pics no proof, j/k, pics when ya get it please :D

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Congratulations on your gunsite headed in your direction. I do have a question. Is the store involvement a state requirement or just saving on shipping?

Not to hijack.....

just curious, Why did you switch out the thumb safety?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

well there she is with its little brother my talo lwt commander 38 super.

just broke it down for a quick cleaning and dang this new bushing is tight! Now I cant wait to shoot it.

Big thanks to Brent and the Colt Custom Shop Crew!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bad ass looking iron! I guess I will have to tell my friend that she is no longer the only one that has a 2 tone Colt Gunsite Pistol. In my opinion that is the sharpest looking 1911, a little retro bringing back some of the 80's, so maybe a comment like "Pistol of Ages" is appropriate. You would think that Gunsite would offer that finish combo since that is the combo mostly associated with Col. Cooper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts