1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently traded for a like-new blued Colt Gunsite Pistol. I managed to sneak in a short range session yesterday, about 150 rounds. I was thoroughly amazed! While I didn't bring it along for a side-by-side comparison, I honestly believe the CGP is more accurate, at least for me, than my Colt Special Combat Government Model.

I was planning on swapping out the front sight for a Hienie Trijicon which I already have on hand, but I am very reluctant to touch the sights, since they are spot-on for windage and elevation. Other than that, I've ordered a long trigger to try, but am not committed to it. I may play around with some VZ Gatorback or 320 grips, but that's about all I plan on changing.

I know some folks on some boards think the CGP is overpriced, and some have criticized the fit and finish. While not a high-dollar custom made gun, the fit and finish are very good, and the proof is in the performance (at least to me, that's my priority). I don't know what the current going price is for these, I know what my local dealer had one for a few years back ($1200). I traded an individual for it, and suffice to say, I had substantially less than that invested in the trade items.

·
Registered
598 Posts
deercop:

I've got one of your guns brothers - my ser. no. CGP 400 in black.
Awesome out of the box and worth every penny.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Gunsite models are retailing for $1500 I believe.
I've been thinking about a Gunsite model myself or another Series 70.:scratch:
Just ordered a set of VZ 320's myself.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just wait

Kalash47 said:
The Gunsite models are retailing for $1500 I believe.
I've been thinking about a Gunsite model myself or another Series 70.:scratch:
Just ordered a set of VZ 320's myself.
ranburr is going to hook us up with one for $1150. I hear he is working on them now. Now of course they won't say GUN Site on them and they may look like crap, but hey $1150.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
brushout said:
ranburr is going to hook us up with one for $1150. I hear he is working on them now. Now of course they won't say GUN Site on them and they may look like crap, but hey $1150.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Gunsite is a good 1911 for the money. They retailed for around $1400 a couple of years ago but could be had NIB in the $1200 range. IMO, as good if not better than anything available in that price range with the "options" as built. Currently, if you want one you are at the mercy of Gunsite as Colt only makes the model in limited numbers for them, and they will get their price which I beleive is $1500.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
brushout said:
COLT GUN SITE

The best pistol ever made!!!!
In your humble opinion of course.:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
73,791 Posts
I sorta like the Colt Gunsite, but the angled and forward serrations don't appeal to me. Since I could never find a Gunsite for sale locally anyway, I decided to have one of my regular stainless Series 70's customized by Dave Helton. It's similar, but not exactly like a Gunsite. It's one of my favorite pistols now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is one very nice looking pistol. A few people do not like front serrations. But, I love them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's another picture of my CGP, after I installed the Cylinder & Slide long match rounded trigger. The CGP's older brother is along for company.

·
Registered
651 Posts
dsk said:
I sorta like the Colt Gunsite, but the angled and forward serrations don't appeal to me. Since I could never find a Gunsite for sale locally anyway, I decided to have one of my regular stainless Series 70's customized by Dave Helton. It's similar, but not exactly like a Gunsite. It's one of my favorite pistols now.
That's one fine Stainless S70!

And I agree with your feelings about the slanted and forward serrations.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
My Gunsite is also about as accurate as my wife's Special Combat.

I also loved the sites and didn't want to touch them. I sent the slide to ToolTech to have them drilled and tritums installed. Pretty close to perfect now. I didn't like the slim grips and put the Special Combat black diamond w/silver colt medalions in them on the SS Gunsite. Great looking now. Also didn't think the front strap serrations did much good, put skateboard tape on it and now grip is great. Changed out the short trigger for a long one too. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
brushout said:
COLT GUN SITE

The best pistol ever made!!!!
I have always liked Colts and I have many but when I went to buy a Colt Gunsite I compared it to a Stainless Springfield Armory TRP that was there at the shop.And I bought the TRP.I just thought the fit and finnish of the TRP to be much better.I am happy I made that choice.But I still carry a Colt commander almost everyday.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
My Gunsite is also about as accurate as my wife's Special Combat.

I also loved the sites and didn't want to touch them. I sent the slide to ToolTech to have them drilled and tritums installed. Pretty close to perfect now. I didn't like the slim grips and put the Special Combat black diamond w/silver colt medalions in them on the SS Gunsite. Great looking now. Also didn't think the front strap serrations did much good, put skateboard tape on it and now grip is great. Changed out the short trigger for a long one too. Tracy

·
Registered
248 Posts
38 Super Combat Commander said:
I have always liked Colts and I have many but when I went to buy a Colt Gunsite I compared it to a Stainless Springfield Armory TRP that was there at the shop.And I bought the TRP.I just thought the fit and finnish of the TRP to be much better.I am happy I made that choice.But I still carry a Colt commander almost everyday.
That's why they make so many different 1911 pistols.... So we can all have one we like.

·
Administrator
73,791 Posts
deercop said:
Here's another picture of my CGP, after I installed the Cylinder & Slide long match rounded trigger. The CGP's older brother is along for company.

Looks good, but I think if you could find a black anodized trigger it would look really sharp. :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
38 Super Combat Commander said:
......when I went to buy a Colt Gunsite I compared it to a Stainless Springfield Armory TRP that was there at the shop.And I bought the TRP. I just thought the fit and finnish of the TRP to be much better.

Could you give specifics of the TRP as to what was superior in "fit and finish" to the Gunsite?

·
Registered
248 Posts
G8TR said:
Could you give specifics of the TRP as to what was superior in "fit and finish" to the Gunsite?
I think it was the "made in Brazil" feature that appealed to him the most.
You do have to admit though, that is a nice pistol. I hear that a hot Brazilian chic delivers it to your door.

Fit and Finnish,, well,, that's in the eye of the beholder. I wonder if ranburr can get me one of those in Stainless for under $1000 too?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts