1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to Gunsite today and was told that they have stainless Colt Gunsite pistols available. After LEO pricing+shipping+dealer transfer fee, it would cost me $1418.

Is the CGP worth the price or should I get a series 70 repro and customize? One of the problems with going the customization route is that many of the top smiths like Yost or Harrison seem to have a long wait and it will probably cost a few hundred dollars more. Let alone the pain of shipping it.

I really like the way the CGP looks and the features that it has (And it is a COLT!). The only things I would change would be longer trigger, gold bead on front sight, and different grips.

My only problem is that from what I understand the CGP is not really a custom shop fitted pistol, and for that price, its getting close to being in the price range of a Les Baer.

Or I could bide my time and wait till I see one on Gunbroker in LNIB condition at a more reasonable price. What do you guys think is the best route? Any advice is appreciated.

Steve

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
It's going to cost you a LOT more to buy a stainless 70 repro and add the bells and whistles (ask me how I know). But, by doing what you want to the 70 as you can afford it, plus getting it the way you want it instead of the way they think you should have it, is a benefit. Mine is now set up exactly the way I want. Aren't the Gunsites built on 80 guns?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
CGP is a Series 70.

I think it's a great deal if having a Colt means anything to you. It has everything you need and you don't have to do anything to it.

But, like me, you will.

ML

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Perhaps you might think of gettting a new or like new series 70 and having Colt do the Model O package. I believe that could be a little less than a Gunsite.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I would love to have a Gunsite, but I think I'll look for a used one myself. So the Colt Gunsite doesn't go through the Custom Shop?:confused:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think that I read a comment by a former Gunsite gunsmith that the Special Combat Government Model was a better buy for about the same money.

I saw a lightly used SS Gunsite at a pawn shop in Colorado in September for about $1,350. They guy they got it from had both a blue & SS.

One of the many questions you have to ask yourself is which features are important to you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get a stainless Series 70 and send it to Colt for an O Package. I did that with my blued Series 70 and it came out great, and of course with no front cocking serrations and no cratered rollmarks.

I just sent my stainless Series 70 in for custom work that is pretty close to the O Package, but I'm leaving the rear sight the same, installing just a staked front night sight (if not possible, then they'll put a dovetail in), lowering (but not flaring) the ejection port, installing a long 3 hole alumimun trigger, installing a flat MSH, installing a commander hammer and leaving the grip safety as is because the hammer does not bite me. Finally, rollmarks will be flattened and it'll be finished in a bead blasted matte finish. Altogether, between the price of the pistol and these changes, it will cost me less than a Gunsite for $1418.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Mine was $1499 NIB 11/03 (IIRC). Made the same changes you want. Dimpled bbl eats anything you put in it. Tracy

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Everything said here is true. But, some people (me) put some value on having the Gunsite Raven on their pistol. How much value varies with the individual.

ML

·
Administrator
73,754 Posts
It's going to cost you a LOT more to buy a stainless 70 repro and add the bells and whistles (ask me how I know).
I don't know about that. In your situation the base pistol had issues that had to be ironed out before you could even begin. I took a basic stainless Series 70 and had it worked on instead of buying a Gunsite. I liked some of the Gunsite's features, but felt I could do without the ugly front cocking serrations and cheesy-looking slide rollmark. In the end I paid about what a Gunsite costs, and ended up with exactly what I want.

So tenchu74, the question for you is, is a Gunsite exactly what you want?

·
Registered
598 Posts
technu 74:
I have a Gunsite in blue, and it's a great shooter with all of the features that I wanted, excpet that I would have preferred it in stainless. So I shot it for a couple of years, and this past year bought a Series 70 repro in stainless.

Problem solved, except now I have a similar dilemma to yours. I want to upgrade the series 70 repro with features similar to the Gunsite!

Sometime soon I'm planning on putting a Wilson drop-in beavertail for the interim and running it for several thousand rounds. Then it's be off to a smith or Colt for the upgrades.

BTW I still have the Gunsite. You may need to get both as well!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I shoot with a guy who uses a Colt Stainless Gunsite model. It has been flawless for at least 2k that I have seen. A nice gun and worth the price, I think. I would get Heinie sights on it instead of the Novak rear. That's the cool part... it has a Heinie front sight and not the Novak cut so you can add a serrated front, which to me is preferable. I don't much care for the thin grips but my hands are XXXL.

Go for it.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
fredfellini, I'm sure you have thought about this, but if you are planning on keeping it then you could hard chrome it without worry about any resale value. Some hard chrome, Tripp Research, looks a lot like stainless to me.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
You're right Dana, it took me some work just to get it where it should have been. But the mods I've done are to my specs and far surpass the Gunsite, plus I still have the pretty smooth slide!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a blue CGP and a plain jane stainless NRM Series 80. Off the bench, there is no increase in accuracy between the two, which surprises me since the CGP has a match barrel. But shooting off-hand, the CGP is noticeably more accurate in my hands. The CGP has never bobbled, but I get an occasional stoppage on the NRM. I actually prefer the stainless gun though, because of the more traditional Colt lines. I am going to send it in to a smith for a reliability tune-up and a de-horn, and that will be it. I recommend you not buy the CGP if it is not exactly what you want. In the long run,you are better off to get a stock gun and make only the mods you want to it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys, thanks for all your help! I've got a difficult decision to make.
I called Colt about getting a custom shop price sheet and they said the 2008 prices won't be out till mid February. So I'll wait till I see what the Colt custom shop will do and its prices till I make a decision. Thanks Again!

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buy it! You will be happy. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I paid about that for mine. It is my daily carry, was my duty gun. And has always been 100% reliable and has been the most accurate of all my 1911's. I am trying to find one in CCO now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is an old thread but still some great info - thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts