1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Colt huntsman double S for what I think is a good price. No box or papers gun is in 90% condition no wear on the blueing or scratches but it does have some wear on the feed ramp so it has been shot before. It's a 6-inch model. I did see an older post about this model on here and thought it would be fun to refresh the topic with an update on what people think the value of one today is. It seems to me that these older colt 22lr have gone up in value over the past 5 years or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If memory serves, the Double SS Huntsman was of the third series between 1976 and 1977. Essentially they were the last of the production run or damn close to it.

Probably $500?
So I found 2 action results for one on gunbroker and one on RIA. The one that RIA sold was in almost perfect condition with box and sold for 1,840.00 in 2011. The one I found that sold on gun broker was not as nice and sold for 2,100.00 in 2014. I would agree tho I thought the huntsman market was 500-650 maybe 700.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
So I found 2 action results for one on gunbroker and one on RIA. The one that RIA sold was in almost perfect condition with box and sold for 1,840.00 in 2011. The one I found that sold on gun broker was not as nice and sold for 2,100.00 in 2014. I would agree tho I thought the huntsman market was 500-650 maybe 700.
I recently bought this early 1970s Huntsman for $550-600. Couldn’t remember the exact dollar amount. That’s the one with the wooden grips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 605113

I recently bought this early 1970s Huntsman for $550-600. Couldn’t remember the exact dollar amount. That’s the one with the wooden grips.
very nice! is it a double 'S" (S10xxxxS)? So what I found was colt did not notice they were making duplicate serial numbers and accidentally made 1,336 colt huntsman that they had to recall. so colt hand-stamped an S on the front of the serial number of those 1,336 guns. I will update you with a photo of mine in the next few days. It's very hard to learn much about this small batch of guns the only info I found was a few crazy prices of actions almost 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
very nice! is it a double 'S" (S10xxxxS)? So what I found was colt did not notice they were making duplicate serial numbers and accidentally made 1,336 colt huntsman that they had to recall. so colt hand-stamped an S on the front of the serial number of those 1,336 guns. I will update you with a photo of mine in the next few days. It's very hard to learn much about this small batch of guns the only info I found was a few crazy prices of actions almost 10 years ago.
Mine is 1972, so it’s well before the Double S serial numbers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Double S Huntsman: The serial number series that began with 001001S passed 100000S in 1976, and reached 101336S before it was noticed that numbers used in 1952 were being duplicated. In order to salvage the 1336 guns already numbered past 100000S, they were hand stamped with an S prefix, in addition to the suffix, thereby creating the "Double S" variation. All KNOWN examples are Huntsmans.

This (above) is from Robert Rayburn's excellent Colt Woodsman web page.

I would suggest you cross post on the Colt Forum as there are several members there with a Double "S" Huntsman. Mr Rayburn is also a member and posts frequently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double S Huntsman: The serial number series that began with 001001S passed 100000S in 1976, and reached 101336S before it was noticed that numbers used in 1952 were being duplicated. In order to salvage the 1336 guns already numbered past 100000S, they were hand stamped with an S prefix, in addition to the suffix, thereby creating the "Double S" variation. All KNOWN examples are Huntsmans.

This (above) is from Robert Rayburn's excellent Colt Woodsman web page.

I would suggest you cross post on the Colt Forum as there are several members there with a Double "S" Huntsman. Mr Rayburn is also a member and posts frequently.
thanks very helpful information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.