1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances (realistically) of COLT selling handgun in CA?

------------------
=====
That which does not kill me makes me stronger...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
50-50???

I haven't heard whether they plan to submit, but I am guessing that they will. The series 90's shouldn't have any problems, and they should realize that there is a large market here.

There have been some Series 70 guns that made it, including Firestorm's and Llama's of all things. 7 Springfields are also on the list.

The latest list is here...
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm

·
Registered
54 Posts
I called about a month ago, Customer Service Lady I talked to says that they will be submitting their 45 line for testing. Then yesterday, i asked a friend to call them up and ask. same answer, they will be submitting for testing, or actually are in the process of testing right now. the person he talked just wasn't so sure of exact status. but they will submit,....hope they make it...i need to buy a couple more

·
Registered
136 Posts
What I got on Friday was that Colt wasn't going to sell in CA since Kimber did. Last year I was told that Colt was going to give up on the civilian market and work on military and law enforcement sales only.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Elmer Fudd:
What I got on Friday was that Colt wasn't going to sell in CA since Kimber did. Last year I was told that Colt was going to give up on the civilian market and work on military and law enforcement sales only.
Elmer,

That's what we were all told last year.....guess they mislead us or changed their minds huh!

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 01-16-2001).]

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Colt never did say they were not going to sell to the civilian market - Newsweek printed remarks to that effect as speculation in response to the 30 anti-gunmaker lawsuits that Colt was involved in. CNN picked up the theme and parrotted it - a little Liberal Media wishful thinking. Unfortunately, the Internet spreads rumors better than the truth. (Read the Colt position papers on their website.)

And it appeared true - Colt had gotten a military contract for M-4 Carbines from the Army, and their new modern but much smaller Plant, (not to mention tight finances) made it impossible to run a large rifle contract and continue any reasonable volume of handgun production.

The resulting "scare" from the story caused every Colt in the country to be bought up at a time when resupply of Colt handguns to dealers had to wait on finishing up the Army rifle contract. Government contracts have stiff penalties if you don't hit you delivery dates. This took months.

Add to all this Colt's strained financial state and the decision to drop all models that did not meet a certain profit level (read revolvers and small autos) by the new company President and it did look like Newsweek/CNN was right.

In short, tight finances and much needed large hard money contracts slowed down the supply of Colts - and the rumors ran rampant. Production is now increasing, and with some of the financial pressure easing some of the dropped models may return. All businesses must respond to their own market conditions - or go out of business. Col. Colt

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Welll said... I think they are also considering the vacuum that was created with the public refusal to support Smith & Wesson, and see a potential to regain market share in the revolver market.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Oh.... I am concerned that they have yet to come out one way or the other on the issue regarding CA, but I do believe they will eventually "see the light".

The market in CA is huge, and it wouldn't make much sense to ignore it...

The testing process is expensive, and they are probably trying to determine how best to approach the problem.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
Oh.... I am concerned that they have yet to come out one way or the other on the issue regarding CA, but I do believe they will eventually "see the light".

The testing process is expensive, and they are probably trying to determine how best to approach the problem.
Sorry but when I went back to re-send, it was all lost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I talked with Col Colt at the shot show so he has the story. Mark here GF from Colt. To date 9 models have been submitted along with all the ammo to a lab for testing, we are expecting results by early February, All bbl lengths in 45 acp, 38 super and 357 python

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mark655,... thanks for answering that question. i know i called Colt CS about a month ago and asked them about this, and they said that Colt will be submitting for testing. I guess, since it's been a while and seeing that other manufacturers have already passed the testing,... we are just sort of getting anxious when it will happen for Colt. But thanks for that info, it's more reassuring to know that Colt already have firearms in the testing process, and this info coming from a reliable source. would you happen to know which models are these???....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
I just wish this huge market could get some pro-gunners into office....

Course, my Grand Plan includes selling California to Mexico. It's okay, they can owe us, they're good for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts