1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I had seen it last night and placed a couple bids in search of the reserve. No luck yet. It is nice looking from what I can see past the red tint of the photo. Perhaps I'll try again, but if the price goes beyond that of a certain minty Series 70, I might have to pass it up.

[This message has been edited by helmet (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just noticed the seller says they will pass on the Auction Arms 2.5% commission fee to the winning bidder. If anyone here wins it, refuse to include that extra amount as it's bull$hit. Either they are willing to pay to advertise or else they should go advertise somewhere else.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny how some of the nicest guns are sold by complete @$$holes.
Just one look through Guns America reveals several nice old Colts that are grotesquely overpriced by greedy sellers.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Obviously, some will always want top dollar regardless of what they paid for a gun. Some overpaid in the first place. Some have been watching the ads from Huntington Beach too long. And some, just don't have a clue about true market value. There is never anything any of us can do to combat high prices except not pay them. Without the demand, the supplies will increase. Then, prices may come down a little. But, I doubt it.
The market on the Internet is so large, there's almost always someone willing to pay just a little more than someone else to own a really nice gun. I don't have money to burn. But, high prices on nice guns have never irritated me. However, high prices on misrepresented guns do bug me. That hurts everyone trying to collect because it warps the market's perception of value. Someone sees a faked gun bring top dollar. Then, they believe their correct gun is worth much more. The only way to combat that is to become educated and not to buy the junk at anything but a junk price. I see $300 guns selling all the time for $500-600, just because someone misrepresents them.
We are faced with the same old problems collectors have been faced with for years. If we don't buy cheap, we can't sell cheap. And, I am not convinced the answer is for prices to come down, as much as it is that we become more aware of the real value of a gun by knowing what is correct. If you own a piece of ground, you probably don't want to see your property value deflate. Same with guns. But, there has to be education about real value before the market will ever justify itself. We must remember that just because a man will pay a dollar for a quarter doesn't make it worth a dollar. But, by being patient and wisely choosing our purchases, we don't fall into the same trap of owning a quarter we paid a dollar for. So, because prices are unlikely to come down, our awareness must come up. Extremely selective buying is the only answer presently.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been watching 1911 stuff for about 5 years now. I don't EVER recall seeing something 1911 for less than $500, except a 1953 LWT commander with a mag well tapped and bad grips for $350, and a white black army with the US stuff ground off for $400. I don't know how old you guys are, but we are all part of the new economy. There is money out there looking for investments, and the stock market sucks. I have read the Huntington big ads too. I am suspicious about the products but have had no experiences.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
In the opinion of many collectors, you'll do well to keep your money out of Huntington Beach. Personally, I think it is a matter of how confident you are about being able to identify a good gun from one that has been professionally misrepresented to appear correct. Some of the stuff is correct. But, the vast majority is not. For most buyers, it is a gamble at best. And the odds are just about the same as going to Vegas. One in umpteen people win. The rest lose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct 1911A1 1942

Can anyone out there tell me why a 1911A1 that looks to be all original and complete with the exception that it is missing the United States Property stamp on the right side of the frame. It also has Model 1911 US ARMY stamped on the frame in front of the take-down pin hole. This looks to be correct, but i'm troubled by the lack of the US Property stamp. Seem a bit pricy too even though it is listed as about 97-98%. $1700.00

1 - 12 of 12 Posts