1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to obtain a made in USA M1911 style pistol. The selection in gun store are overwhelming me ;Kimber , springfield , Colt, Griffon, etc. I handle the new Colt M1991A1 and really like the feeland its look ; Business like G.I.style ,flat mainspring housing , long trigger , big and blocky sight , NO front serration, and safty on the left side . The problem is everyone I talk to told me that Colt will need $600-800 customized to get it run reliably and everyone seem to like Kimber. All I want is basic G.I. style .45 that feed reliably with FMJ, SWC and some FP bullet for recreational shooting. i read a few thred and see that many people do like Colt M1991A1 .is this pistol a good choice for the beginner?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sathirachinda,
Welcome to the forum!

The 1991 is a good choice. If you like it, buy it and don't look back. Colt makes a good and reliable pistol despite what you might have heard. Of the 4 I have owned, none required any reliability work but I chose to customize 2 of them mainly to suit my tastes and requirements as a lefty.

------------------

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just bought a gold cup trophy and shoots great. I personally don't care for Kimbers. Seems like they were dropped into a tumbler and were forgotten. Rounding sharp edges for carry are one thing but I think that they go too far-just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have 3 1991A1's right now, two full size matte blue ones and a stainless comannder that i got a couple of weeks ago. i too like the "plain military style" of these pistols.

kimber is a good gun, but it has too many things on it that i don't like. ( front slide serrations, full length guide rod, and extended thumb saftey) i want my combat guns simple and reliable.

by the way, if you want pistol made in the usa, sprinfield is out, their basic pistols come from brazil finifhed, the loaded models lack a grip saftey and something else i don't remember, and the top of the line models still mostly made in brazil(i think)

so, by the original, its still the best when it comes to protection

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Banned
234 Posts
I bought a new 1991A1 about a month ago.It is an EXCELLENT pistol!I've put about 400 rounds through it and not one malfunction.It displays very good accuracy also.Compared to some other new Colts I bought and shot in years past,this one is the best.The best fit,finish,trigger feel and accuracy.The new guns from Colt really are better!
I also have a bright stainless Gold Cup in .45 ACP purchased in the mid-nineties that while it has a very sloppy slide-to-frame fit is very accurate and reliable.
When I hear from guys that are having problems with their new Colt pistols,I always wonder if it's the operator and not the gun(poor reloads,weak firing grip,etc.)
Buy the Colt,it's THE REAL DEAL!!

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
848 Posts
Originally posted by RUSSEL213:

by the way, if you want pistol made in the usa, sprinfield is out, their basic pistols come from brazil finifhed, the loaded models lack a grip saftey

russel the cop

[/B]

I think you meant FP safty as all 1911's have a grip safty!
------------------
O.K., My Turn

[This message has been edited by clark.45 (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Administrator
73,753 Posts
Originally posted by sathirachinda:
The problem is everyone I talk to told me that Colt will need $600-800 customized to get it run reliably and everyone seem to like Kimber.
Congratulations, you've now heard the typical don't-buy-a-Colt-buy-a-Kimber bull$it from dealers. They will tell you that because they are being ecouraged to sell Kimbers in order to qualify as a Master Dealer.

Get the Colt. You won't be sorry.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
see my signiture

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
293 Posts
clark .45, no i meant grip saftey, on the loaded models when they are imported they lack a grip saftey and i think sights, but i'm not sure. i meant that it lacked it as it was shipped from brazil to america.

thanks though

russel the cop

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I bought a M1991A1 last year and it is totally reliable right out of the box. I have been told this junk since my first Colt back in 82'. $600-800 will take your Colt racing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by RUSSEL213:
clark .45, no i meant grip saftey, on the loaded models when they are imported they lack a grip saftey and i think sights, but i'm not sure. i meant that it lacked it as it was shipped from brazil to america.

thanks though

russel the cop

Take a better look at the Springfield guns, they all have a grip safety. The new Loaded models have a palm swell grip safety, They do however have the new Mainspring housing with the lock. But ALL Springfield 1911a1 pistols have a grip safety.

Mark

·
Registered
400 Posts
sathirachinda, I guess I am kind of unlucky but my new 1991A1 needed a little work to be 100%. It's true that it feeds anything I load in the mag, but it also hit me square in the forehead with every piece of brass. Maybe I am pickey but I shoot every Sunday in a league and some of the habbits my Colt had needed to be fixed pronto. Thru trial and error I managed to adjust (tune) the extractor so the brass no longer hits my head. I installed a Wilson trigger and polished the hammer hooks and sear. Got it down to a usable 4.5 lbs. It shoots a tighter group at 25 yards than my Kimber Custom, but it shoots 3" high at the same distance. A gun smith will be needed to fix that. This new 1991A1 fits tighter (slide to frame) than any other factory Colt I have had the pleasure of owning. The quality is there, it just needed and still needs a little help. Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
293 Posts
mark, i realize that the are sold with a grip saftey on the gun, what i am saying is that when certain modelsare shipped they are shipped from brazil, they lack certain parts, included on the gun.

they ARE put on at the factory before they gun is shipped out to be sold.

the point i was trying to make is that just because springfield 1911's are "finished" here in america, most of it comes from brazil, thats why it says "made in brazil"

yes, every one of them is sold with the grip saftey on it, but some of them did not come to this country finished.

russel the cop

------------------

·
Registered
164 Posts
Get the Colt 1991/GM !!! , if you don't, you'll wish you did. (might want to make sure you get a current production model, much better quaility than earler guns)

·
Registered
9 Posts
>>everyone I talk to told me that Colt will need $600-800 customized to get it run reliably<<

I think that's extreme. I have a ser 70 and a new ser 80. Both are reliable and I can hit near the center ring of siloettes out to 20 yards more or less. The guys I know that had accurizatin mods done do a lot of target competition. Mine have worked fine with everything stock including Colt mags. No problems, very reliable, accurate enough for combat. Hopefully you don't get a lemom. btw I think the ser 80 model is a better pistola then the ser 70 at least my models anyway. Whatever you do do yourself and everyone else a favor. Take a safety course and practice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My SA does not have "made in Brazil" anywhere on the gun. Where does one find this information as to where the guns are made anyway?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts