1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a m45 and want to use it for competition. I am changing the front sight and safety to a wilson wide. And using a 10-8 flat trigger. I am new to competition and really looking forward to putting it through its paces.any recommendations on mag wells. Ordered some tripp 8 round mags.although a hefty pistol it makes the weight. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks James

·
Registered
682 Posts
You're going to have to be careful in adding a magwell. I shoot single stack uspsa with a Guncrafter and was able to meet weight requirements by just over 1/2 oz with an all steel one piece magwell from Nighthawk Custom. There are lighter ones though I'm told.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
magwell blended to the frame is a great addition.

I would advise against using a single stack in limited 10, unless you deactivate the slide stop, either by modifying the slide stop or the mag. 10rd mags are notorious for being over inserted into single stacks... and yes, even the CMC ones will do it (had a guy at my club do 2 last Thursday)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weight was my concern as well ,i do believe it may be almost wishfull thinking on the magwell i have looked at some of the aluminum ones 1.5 oz. for dawson . I have seen weight advertised at 38 and 40 oz for the pistol alone ? i never thought i would worry about 2 oz in my life damn those friends who got me into this.l.realizing there are better options for straight competition but this is the pistol i have so it is what is. And it is accurate and is a all around great pistol. Any other considerations i am looking at tripp mags though i am not new to firearms but i must admit trying to get dialed in for comp is a little bit overwhelming. but i am strong adherant of the KISS principal. thanks for your time and responses.

·
Registered
616 Posts

I would advise against using a single stack in limited 10, unless you deactivate the slide stop, either by modifying the slide stop or the mag. 10rd mags are notorious for being over inserted into single stacks... and yes, even the CMC ones will do it (had a guy at my club do 2 last Thursday)
I use the hell out of my Sig in L10 with CMC 10rds no problem. I did have that problem with the stock sig 8 rds mags though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From reading rules i am allowed 43 oz with unloaded mag for ss.So magwell is looking like wishful thinking.the only reason i was thinking limited or i should say limited ten is i have a different weight requirement.it's a heavy pistol with that rail.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What brand & model do you have? I have an STI with S&A magwell. With Wilson 47D mag it comes in at
42 oz. Made weight and fits in box at Aare 3 & 5. Are you shootin local club matches or going to shoot larger matches where gun will be weighted?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
What does your pistol weigh right now with an empty 8 rnd mag inserted? I wouldn't rely on the advertised weights. If it was me, I'd start by getting an accurate weight of my pistol first to see what kind of wiggle room you have to play with. Or shoot L10 where there isn't a weight limit.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts

Hmmm. I shot L10, every weekend for ten years, using Power 10s in a single stack, and never had an overinsertion issue. Only if the basepad shattered could the mag be overinserted in either of my guns. It sounds like someone's mileage certainly varied.
Before there was a Single Stack division, L10 was the single stack division, and everyone used 10-rounders. The only issues I ever witnessed were the little L-shaped overtravel stops popping off Wilson 10-rounders; THAT will ruin your stage, if not your match.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hmmm. I shot L10, every weekend for ten years, using Power 10s in a single stack, and never had an overinsertion issue. Only if the basepad shattered could the mag be overinserted in either of my guns. It sounds like someone's mileage certainly varied.
Before there was a Single Stack division, L10 was the single stack division, and everyone used 10-rounders. The only issues I ever witnessed were the little L-shaped overtravel stops popping off Wilson 10-rounders; THAT will ruin your stage, if not your match.
You just made me go and look at that one bad mag and certainly the base pad is the issue.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
... so there is an issue with single stacks and over inserting 10rd mags due to their design... that is my point and its something the OP should keep in mind when picking mags/deciding to shoot L10.

It is the exact same problem as 2011s, and to prevent broken ejectors we all deactivate the slide stop... however for SS, I couldn't imagine shooting a gun that didn't lock back on empty mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good points, i think my focus will be just being local all great points to think about. Thanks it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
616 Posts
... so there is an issue with single stacks and over inserting 10rd mags due to their design... that is my point and its something the OP should keep in mind when picking mags/deciding to shoot L10.

It is the exact same problem as 2011s, and to prevent broken ejectors we all deactivate the slide stop... however for SS, I couldn't imagine shooting a gun that didn't lock back on empty mags.
I don't think it is a problem at all. Yes it happens but it isn't a show stopper or something to discourage people from trying. I do both L10 and limited and frankly, I like L10 more. It is a bit more challenging and I enjoy it (beside it makes you better at speed reloads;) )

All classes have issues. If I was to compare the issue that the open guys have compare to mine, then they should stop because their guns are "broken" because they have constant feeding/ejecting issues because their light loads.

Sly

I don't know if you do it already bu my recommendation is for you just start simple with SS class and see where you end up at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well X that is my plan, I was worried about weight issues but it looks like I will be good for SS thanks all for the time and input. Hope you all had a great Christmas and a happy new year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts