1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a colt magazine from Brownells and it is marked colt on the bottom plate. Last range session it was the culprit of many malfuctions. I could not get more than 4 rounds before it stopped my gun. A colt commander 1911 that works like a swiss watch with the wilson mags it came with and 5 chip Mccormick 10 roung power mags. Has anyone has issues with colt brand 7 round mags?

This is what the round looked after the malfunction was cleared.
Water Blue Liquid Bullet Ammunition

Finger Household hardware Material property Thumb Gas

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

Finger Gesture Gadget Electronic component Wood

·
Administrator
75,869 Posts
The extractor wouldn't do that as it never touches that part of the case. I suspect that's from the slide overriding a round that failed to move to the top of the mag fast enough. These 8-round Colt/Checkmate mags can be hit or miss depending on the gun they're used in. I have one that came in one of my pistols and it functions flawlessly, so I bought three more... and all three are garbage.

Reactions: GoneBallistic

·
Registered
95 Posts
I believe this particular magazine is releasing the round just a bit later than the others you have and the round is hitting the lower edge of your chamber mouth at a greater angle which is what is leaving the mark. It also appears that you have just a bit too sharp an edge on the chamber mouth if it is actually scraping the case instead of just leaving a slight dent.

Recommend you check the edge with your finger nail and if it is a bit sharp, take the edge off with 600 grit Wet / Dry sandpaper. Just dull the edge so it can't scrape. Don't try to take off any significant amount of metal or you will be affecting the supported area of the chamber and there isn't that much margin on a M1911.

That's just my guess.....

- Ivan.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I can see it looks that the extractor is digging into the case.
Like @dsk notes, the long scrape on the case body is not from contact with the extractor. However, I see a divot on the bevel that may indicate extractor contact or it may be contact with the slide.
These 8-round Colt/Checkmate mags can be hit or miss depending on the gun they're used in.
Agreed. I only use Check-Mate's hybrid feed lip mags and like them better than any other mag from any other manufacturer. I also never load more than seven rounds in flush fit magazines.
It also appears that you have just a bit too sharp an edge on the chamber.
This is a tough one. I can't figure out if it's caused by the slide or the sharp chamber corner.

No matter which is the cause it's still a good idea to follow @Ivan1911A1's suggestion to gently smooth that edge.

As @dsk says, if it's the slide overriding the case then the magazine spring is too weak to push the stack of rounds up into contact with the feed lips before the slide comes forward. The fix is a new, stronger magazine spring.

A contributing factor could be the use of an overly strong recoil spring which causes the slide to move forward much faster than necessary. I'm sure you know the standard recoil spring for a Commander is 18lbs. FWIW, I use a 16lb spring in mine.
I believe this particular magazine is releasing the round just a bit later . . .
If this is so then wadcutter or hybrid feed lip mags would be preferred in this pistol.
Here's a pic of the three major types of magazine feed lips so you can see the difference. From the left: tapered GI, parallel wadcutter, hybrid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes sense because it is just that one magazine. I will try new magazine spring but I don't think I will do any sanding to the chamber since I have been using this for a few years with no issues (came with Wilson's mags and I use all my old Mccormicks) I guess I paid to have a pony and flush fit mag for carry but proved to be a waste of money. Thanks guys for the help and all the information.

·
Administrator
75,869 Posts
A contributing factor could be the use of an overly strong recoil spring which causes the slide to move forward much faster than necessary. I'm sure you know the standard recoil spring for a Commander is 18lbs. FWIW, I use a 16lb spring in mine.
Actually I believe a weak recoil spring would be a more likely culprit, as it would cause the slide to cycle a lot faster and return before the cartridge had a chance to move into position. Of course too-strong recoil springs can cause short-stroking and result in a similar malfunction as well. However I've noticed the recoil springs Colt uses these days are on the light side, and I always replace them with a proper 16# spring which is noticeably stiffer. I think the factory Colts are somewhere between 14# which is too light.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I see the mark in the extractor groove from the extractor, but I don't see how it got so perfectly lined up with the dent and scraping of the case body from the edge of the chamber mouth. Seems like the case body damage should have happened at 6:00 on the case, and the nick from the extractor should have been at 3:00.

Definitely planning to stick to original design Colt 7 round mags.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello Steve,
You and DSK are probably more likely correct than I am. If the round stopped at the chamber mouth, there should not be scratches all the way back to the extractor groove.
It is a bit hard to tell without knowing how the round was oriented when the gun jammed.

I have another magazine related question.
I have a magazine with Colt markings on the floor plate. It is stainless steel and definitely at least 20 years old.
I got it used and was wondering if Colt ever supplied magazines with a "Shooting Star" follower as from Chip McCormick magazines. I knew the fellow I got it from and I don't think he was the kind to mix and match parts from different magazines. The other magazine I got from him has what looks like a regular Colt style follower from the time period.

Thanks,
- Ivan.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Actually I believe a weak recoil spring would be a more likely culprit, as it would cause the slide to cycle a lot faster and return before the cartridge had a chance to move into position.
Interesting. Here's how I understand the dynamics of the recoil spring as it relates to feeding.
  • A weaker recoil spring allows the slide to move to the rear faster but doesn't push it forward as fast as a stronger recoil spring.
  • A stronger recoil spring slows the rearward velocity of the slide but speeds up the forward velocity.
  • The magazine spring cannot push the stack of rounds upward until the slide has moved rearward past the next round in the mag.
If my understanding is correct, the weaker recoil spring would give the magazine spring more time to push the stack of rounds up into contact with the feed lips so that the next round would be properly engaged by the slide.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If the round stopped at the chamber mouth, there should not be scratches all the way back to the extractor groove.
A point which brings up the question of exactly where was the nose of the cartridge when the malfunction occurred. Was this a live round stovepipe which would indicate an inertia feed?

@Coquio, can you please enlighten us on this question?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That round was stuck almost with the slide in battery. As I tried to clear or fully load the round i actually created a double feed. I locked the slide to the rear to releave the tension removed the magazine and cleared the malfunction.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmmmm...
Now I am suspecting that my original idea was probably correct.
The first impact against the chamber mouth put the biggest scrape and dent into the case.
The rest of the scrapes happened as the round straightened and fed into the chamber.
The problem now was that the dent in the case deformed it enough for the slide not to go into battery.

I have a gun with a Kart barrel that has a bit tighter chamber than others and hung up on some dummy rounds I made that would feed fine in the other guns. It went into battery but would not clear the round from the chamber easily.
The extractor did not lose control of the round though, so I still had something to pull the dummy round out.
Eventually I traced it to needing a touch more flare to keep the case aligned during bullet seating and a touch more crimp.
I never would have figured this out if I had not been making dummy rounds that needed to be cleared without firing.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What was preventing you from being able to extract the round from the chamber? Was the rim of the case behind the claw of the extractor?
I only tried about 4 times to use the mag and on 2 times it did form a stovepipe with the live round, now that I remember that range day. I think the better picture would have been painted with a picture of the stoppage right when it happened. I am calling this a magazine issue since the ramp chamber and inside of the slide don't have any sharp edges. I will try a new sping kit for the magazine. Or might just tryout Brownells forever guarant. I still have 2 more in the bag unopened.

Sleeve Font Cuisine Transparency Dish
Hand Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My Colt Commander WC does not like the wadcutter feed lips. It runs 100% with GI or Hybrid feed lips. Most of my full size Government models handle the wadcutter feed lips just fine. I have come to favor Hybrid feed lips for almost all my Government and Commander 1911 shooting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts