1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
76,452 Posts
The extractor wouldn't do that as it never touches that part of the case. I suspect that's from the slide overriding a round that failed to move to the top of the mag fast enough. These 8-round Colt/Checkmate mags can be hit or miss depending on the gun they're used in. I have one that came in one of my pistols and it functions flawlessly, so I bought three more... and all three are garbage.

Reactions: GoneBallistic

·
Administrator
76,452 Posts
A contributing factor could be the use of an overly strong recoil spring which causes the slide to move forward much faster than necessary. I'm sure you know the standard recoil spring for a Commander is 18lbs. FWIW, I use a 16lb spring in mine.
Actually I believe a weak recoil spring would be a more likely culprit, as it would cause the slide to cycle a lot faster and return before the cartridge had a chance to move into position. Of course too-strong recoil springs can cause short-stroking and result in a similar malfunction as well. However I've noticed the recoil springs Colt uses these days are on the light side, and I always replace them with a proper 16# spring which is noticeably stiffer. I think the factory Colts are somewhere between 14# which is too light.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts