1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be posted in the wrong section, if so please move it :confused:

I have a few Colt mags, both 7 round and 8 round mag's. I believe they are Checkmate mag's as the have the "C" designation on them. While cleaning the mags I noticed a difference in the springs and followers between the 7 & 8 round mags. The 7 round mags have a dimple and a "steped" follower along with a "loop" that supports the follower.

The 8 round mags have a different spring, with less twist or coils, no dimple and a "split" type follwer. The portion of the spring that supports the follower is a standard "U" shape, like the u-bend in the spring.

Is this difference in design correct between the two mags ?? Or could either the 7 or 8 round mags be a copy. The 8 round have a patent # on the follwer, while the 7 round do not. Both have Colt on the base plate along with the pony.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Dog

·
Banned
322 Posts
I have read before that the ones marked .45 are real colts and the ones without the decimal marked only 45 are knock off's. I don't know for certain this is correct, but I do know some companies have different followers (like metalform has both flat and round) so you may not be able to tell just from them having different ones by the same company.

Edit: Here is a place that states that.

After-market copies. Too numerous to list here. Most are total junk, and
not worth buying. (You can expect horrible feeding problems.) In particular, beware of
fake "Colt made" magazines! Three points to look for to determine if they aren't the
genuine Colt-made item: 1) The fake magazines are marked "Colt 45 AUTO" but without a
decimal before the "45". They may say "Colt" but they aren't made by Colt! 2) The
typeface (font) is not the same as that used on genuine Colt magazines, and is much more
deeply stamped. 3) The "counter" holes in the side of the magazine are often much larger
than originals. Keep in mind that the lack of a "pony" doesn't necessarily mean that a
magazine isn't a genuine Colt. The pony marking didn't begin until around 1970. The best
evidence of originality is the type font used in the marking. (Compare side-by-side with a
*known* Colt-made magazine until you learn to identify the original type font at a glance.)
http://www.rawles.to/M1911_Mag_FAQ.html

·
Premium Member
15,671 Posts
Many Colt 8-rd mags were made by McCormick and have a 'shooting star' follower. If they work for you, use them.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Recently purchased a Gunsite CCO NIB from a dealer which came with two presumably "Colt" mags given that they were packaged with the pistol. Purchsed at the same time, two allegedly Colt mags from a very large, very reputable aftermarket company. In Iowa.

One each of the two pair of mags wouldn't drop, or hold the slide open after the last shot and at Colt's direction, I returned the two to Colt for replacement/repair or whatever. That leaves me with two functioning mags, one acquired with the gun and presumably legit, and the other an aftermarket mag with questionable lineage.

Neither mag has a decimal point before the 45. The font is slightly different, but the logo is identicle on the two. Roll mark penetration on the base appears to be identicle. The finish on one mag is shiny black, and dull black on the other. Another difference is that one mag has a small C stamped on the base plate, and the other, an "M". The C-stamped mag is the dull black.

I believe that the C-stamped mags were the two supplied with the pistol, but can't state that absolutely for sure. The only thing I could say for sure is, that the decimal point thing is an urban legend based on the hardware I have sitting in front of me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts