1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Wood Everyday carry Air gun Gun barrel
Wood Gas Rectangle Metal Hardwood

My beloved Colt Mark IV Series 70. Bought it a few years ago or so and it’s been on my hip, my lap, the center console, the floorboard, the nightstand, the fireplace mantle and wherever else I needed it since. And it’s got the scars to prove it. First thing I did when I bought it was change out the grips and throw the old ones away with the box and all the paperwork haha. This ones an heirloom, not a collectible. Before I ever shot it I tore it down and put an idiot scratch on it. Didn’t know no better. Oh well. Then I shoved it down in the seat of my wife’s Tahoe and when she hit the automatic start it readjusted the seat and put a horrible shaped groove next to the medallion. That one kinda hurt. I had a USMC firearms instructor get on to me (I was his boss mind you haha) about how bad of shape it was in until he field stripped it and saw I keep the insides right. He still wasn’t impressed that it was a Colt. Started going on and on about paying for a name and how there were better guns around the same price point. Oh well. I bought stainless because I knew it would get abused. Its been used to kill some bad critters that needed putting down, as well as some good ones that I hated to see go. There may be better guns, but this one has never failed to go boom ( unless I accidentally left the safety on). I’ve never had to use it in defense of myself or my family, but I’m sure it’d get the job done if need be.
I understand what this gun is and some of the features (arched mainspring housing, solid barrel bushing etc) but I would love to hear y’all’s input and thoughts on this gun and the model in general.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Scars often have great back stories.

·
3,100 Posts
The Series 70 reissues have been some of my favorite guns from Colt, I don't think you could do much better in that price range. Stainless was a good choice for abuse and you can get most of the scratches off at home if you desire. My go to 1911 is a Series 70 made in 1978. I installed a barrel, solid bushing, medium length aluminum trigger, and changed the springs but otherwise it is original with features similar to yours...my sights are smaller and mine is blue...mostly.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
BTW, RBK, Howdy and welcome from Texas

Reactions: RBK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Series 70 reissues have been some of my favorite guns from Colt, I don't think you could do much better in that price range. Stainless was a good choice for abuse and you can get most of the scratches off at home if you desire. My go to 1911 is a Series 70 made in 1978. I installed a barrel, solid bushing, medium length aluminum trigger, and changed the springs but otherwise it is original with features similar to yours...my sights are smaller and mine is blue...mostly.
When I first bought this one I bought a nice ambi safety to install but never saw the need. I guess if my right hand ever got disabled I’d find another way to flip the safety. I hope. I wish I knew enough to know if I’d like a new trigger or springs but I don’t. It just shoots how it shoots and I try to bring up the slack. Why did you make those changes and how did they improve the gun? Thanks all to responding.

Ruffdup- thank you and I agree but this deep gouge on my grip is just ugly and the story is just as lame. If I could find another pair just like these to swap out when I need a BBQ gun (as they call them in Texas) I would. I think somebody told me these came off a national match. Not sure. As far as BBQ guns, if I could ever find and afford a first gen all blue Colt SAA with ivory grips then that would be it. Until then this beater will have to do haha.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I say love the one you're with! All my pistols are beaters and I beat them regularly. Lots of holster wear and ruffhousing on my girls.

·
3,100 Posts
When I first bought this one I bought a nice ambi safety to install but never saw the need. I guess if my right hand ever got disabled I’d find another way to flip the safety. I hope. I wish I knew enough to know if I’d like a new trigger or springs but I don’t. It just shoots how it shoots and I try to bring up the slack. Why did you make those changes and how did they improve the gun? Thanks all to responding.
While gripping the pistol normally in your left hand, you can probably bring your left thumb behind/over the frame and hit the safety. Try it a few times unloaded,..you might get good at it quick.

I mostly made the changes because the barrel and recoil spring wore out. The medium length trigger is just a preference I have developed over the years. The improvement is that the new fitted barrel is more accurate and reliable than the old wore out barrel. The barrels in the newer series 70 guns were fit better in my opinion. Yours should last a long time.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
I've got one just like yours, but it's a safe queen. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I have too many other 1911s that I shoot. The stainless Series 70s were never very common, and now that they're discontinued values are starting to go up. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't use yours as a workhorse. As was said earlier these aren't too hard to refinish yourself if you have access to a cheap sandblasting setup and some emery paper.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got one just like yours, but it's a safe queen. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I have too many other 1911s that I shoot. The stainless Series 70s were never very common, and now that they're discontinued values are starting to go up. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't use yours as a workhorse. As was said earlier these aren't too hard to refinish yourself if you have access to a cheap sandblasting setup and some emery paper.
View attachment 619356
Beautiful gun. What mine looked like once. I did not know they were less common, nor did I know they were discontinued. I started looking for a nickeled version after watching Denzel Washington shoot that guy in the head in American Gangster. I quickly realized nickel wouldn’t hold up so I got the SS version. I think I paid around $800 NIB off gunbroker. Maybe $900. I don’t know that I could get half that now, but I do know I wouldn’t take double. A couple of years later I bought an M4A1 with the 14.5” pinned barrel and govt scroll marks and decided I wanted a double stack to pair with it. Ended up buying a G19. It and my 1911 are the only semi automatic pistols I own and I’ve never taken a liking to the Glock. No doubt it does what it’s intended and it’s a more comfortable carry but it’s about as interesting as a brick-which is what it looks like to me. I’ve got an original 1849 colt mfg in 1868 and a 2nd gen Walker. That Walker would make a hell of a BBQ gun, but I’d have to bring my horse to comfortably carry it haha.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I think I paid around $800 NIB off gunbroker. Maybe $900. I don’t know that I could get half that now, but I do know I wouldn’t take double.
+1

Reactions: RBK

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
I did not know they were less common, nor did I know they were discontinued.
They were replaced with the O1911C-SS. It's a similar pistol but shares some features with the Series 80s such as a lowered ejection port, narrow-hood barrel and plastic mainspring housing.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
1st-gen grips were sandblasted & varnished walnut with silver medallions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think those grips are from a first-generation MK IV S70.
I was told by someone on the Colt forum that these were Birdseye maple. Another member there said they looked similar to the grips that came on a Colt WW2 commemorative ETO in 1970. Not sure about either. Just what I was told. I paid about $30 on eBay and they were just listed as Colt 1911 grips.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hats off to the caretakers of history. Y'all are amazing, but more pics would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
View attachment 619348 View attachment 619351

My beloved Colt Mark IV Series 70. Bought it a few years ago or so and it’s been on my hip, my lap, the center console, the floorboard, the nightstand, the fireplace mantle and wherever else I needed it since. And it’s got the scars to prove it. First thing I did when I bought it was change out the grips and throw the old ones away with the box and all the paperwork haha. This ones an heirloom, not a collectible. Before I ever shot it I tore it down and put an idiot scratch on it. Didn’t know no better. Oh well. Then I shoved it down in the seat of my wife’s Tahoe and when she hit the automatic start it readjusted the seat and put a horrible shaped groove next to the medallion. That one kinda hurt. I had a USMC firearms instructor get on to me (I was his boss mind you haha) about how bad of shape it was in until he field stripped it and saw I keep the insides right. He still wasn’t impressed that it was a Colt. Started going on and on about paying for a name and how there were better guns around the same price point. Oh well. I bought stainless because I knew it would get abused. Its been used to kill some bad critters that needed putting down, as well as some good ones that I hated to see go. There may be better guns, but this one has never failed to go boom ( unless I accidentally left the safety on). I’ve never had to use it in defense of myself or my family, but I’m sure it’d get the job done if need be.
I understand what this gun is and some of the features (arched mainspring housing, solid barrel bushing etc) but I would love to hear y’all’s input and thoughts on this gun and the model in general.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got a Series 70 in 1980, replaced the bbl with a Bar-Sto, the collet barrel bushing with a solid s/s one, switched the recoil spring to a nice assembly and slapped some Pachmyer grips on it. Once broken in it became the best 1911 I ever shot. It became an extension of my right arm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just got back into Colt 1911s the last couple years. I had a few when I was young but got away from them in favor of S&W revolvers for hunting and target. I didn’t own a combat type pistol and the social situation made me by my 1st AR and 1911.
I do know a little about 1911s so I looked for original series 70 or older pistols. Well bought a few 1911s , mostly Colts but a couple Springfields. Just like the ARs I’m not interested in tricking them out. They will do what they are made for out of the box. I have not fired thousands of rounds through 1911s. I did shoot a 1972 Gold Cup , that I bought new and few thousand with target loads. The only troubles I ever had with stock Colt was due to handloads or magazines.
My opinion, 1911 is most dependable pistol ever produced.
Wood Air gun Wood stain Rectangle Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 24 Posts