1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

This is my first post on the forum so I figured I'd make it count!

I recently picked up a new Colt Commander (O4691) and while it's been a great pistol so far, I feel it's missing a little "bling" so I've decided to spice things up with some medallion grips.

I see many options on eBay and they all appear to be around $30-50 but I do question the quality of the medallions. Has anyone had any experience with these? One seller has well over 500 units sold so the grips appear to be immensely popular.

Thanks in advance and I'm happy I found this forum!

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
Not all medallion grips are licensed from Colt, and there are some pretty crude-looking fakes out there. As long as you can see good close-up pics of the grips in question and can see a distinct prancing horse (and not some blob that could be a llama for all anyone knows) you should be good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not all medallion grips are licensed from Colt, and there are some pretty crude-looking fakes out there. As long as you can see good close-up pics of the grips in question and can see a distinct prancing horse (and not some blob that could be a llama for all anyone knows) you should be good to go.
Thanks. I'm not sure if eBay links are allowed here so forgive me but this is the set I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191279862269

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I got these from ebay and they're very nice. I like them better than my factory Colt medallion grips. Keep in mind the medallion is centered as compared to the Colt which are bumped up a bit toward the upper diamond. Just checked your link. Same ones. You'll like them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-FULL-S...-MEDALLIONS-/191279862269?hash=item2c892b11fd

On my Colt. Much nicer/crisper in person.

My factory grips.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
What annoys me about the current OEM Colt grips is that they're a bit short and don't reach as far up the frame as the ones on older Colts did. I always replace the grips on mine with Hogue exotic wood grips or something similar.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's the same guy I bought the rosewood replacement grips for my new 05870a1 from a few months back on fleabay. They're really nice. Mine came in colt packaging and said Altamont on the back of the panels. You'll like them I'm guessing. Nice guy and fast shipping.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Altamont is good. A bit off topic and without medallions, Hogue also makes great G-10 grips with built in magwell. They are very nice.
I am not advertising for Hogue. But I am a big fan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. I'm not sure if eBay links are allowed here so forgive me but this is the set I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191279862269
Pusha,
I bought grips from him a while back. We actually spoke on the phone for a bit prior to me purchasing as I had the same concerns you do.

He was great to talk to and really set me at ease with my purchase. I ordered "black" ironwood grips with medallions and they're terrific. Buy with confidence.

·
Registered
23,175 Posts
Midway is still selling stocks like Colt used to sell on their website. I got the ones I put on the 2010 GCT below from Colt as it came with rubber wrap around grips.

Lately I am very happy with stocks I have been buying from Altamont. One nice thing with them is you can have gold or silver meds added to many of the stocks they make. Below are silver meds in some of theirs on a 1990 Delta Gold Cup to replace the rubber wrap around grips that came on the pistol.

And another pair of their stocks on a 2013 Series 70. These come with nice double diamond stocks but I like these better.

I have only bought one pair off of Ebay and was not that happy with them, although there are thousands of vendors that advertise there. Altamont even sales their out of production grips on Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,145 Posts
The last set of "factory" grips that I bought had the medallions set very deep, and I didn't like the looks.
The medallion is protected from wear, but I like them set so the center is just below the wood surface, and the rim at 3:00 and 9:00 is just above.
I invested in a 1/2" Forstner drill bit, and collect medallions whenever I find them cheap.
I can avoid both cheap-looking grips and poorly set meds by installing the meds in my choice of grips.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I recently bought these from Boone Trading. About $50.00. Imitation ivory. I have no idea exactly what they are made of......they feel quite heavy unlike simple plastic. You get your choice of gold or silver medallion. I chose silver.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I have suspected for a long time that Altamont makes OEM grips for many makers. I have seen their grips on S&W's, and I believe they make them Colt.

I would imagine that would make their medallions the real deal.

They look real nice on some guns, but too perfect on others.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I recently bought these from Boone Trading. About $50.00. Imitation ivory. I have no idea exactly what they are made of......they feel quite heavy unlike simple plastic. You get your choice of gold or silver medallion. I chose silver.:)
How do you like these simulated ivory grips? I have several pairs of real ivory from Boone Trading and I love them. I'm looking at a pair of the simulated next...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just put a set of Altamont double diamond checkered grip panels on my stainless Gov't. XSE. Instead of Colt medallions, I opted for the Colt script logo laser cut into the grip panel. I had a set of Hogue Kingwood grips on the gun, but I didn't like them. The wood didn't have much figure to it, and the finish was too dull. The Altamonts in "super rosewood" look fantastic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts