1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have just moved to the world of colt. I sold my kimber TLE ll and bought a used colt mkiv series 80 in blued finish. i have a few question. i need to find out what year it was made. it has the collet bushing and the serial number reads FG66321x

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
series 80

thanks for your replies i will call them today. There are a few issues with the weapon though. when i went to go buy it i asked if i could fire it and he let me. i shot 2 7rd mags of pmc 230gr hollow points, no problems. but i got it home a cleaned it up last night and if i rack the slide i can feel something grinding. also someone put adjustable sights on it and well the front one fell off while shooting it. This is no big deal cuz i was gonna change them any way, but i cant seem to find the sights i want. I want some original GI sights, where can i find them? i will post some pics of the gun and some of the inside of the slide where i think that the barrel is rubbing. the whole unserside of the slide foward of the barrel links is brightly polished where the barrel rubs it and i think this is where the grinding noise comes from.

· Registered
3 Posts
That's cool

Well, I've also been trying to find out the manufacture date on my Colt Series 80 Mk IV. I called Colt Mfg and within about 2 mins from dialing, I found out that it was made in 1995. I was pretty impressed with the fact that it was only a 2 min call. Their menu was only one or two buttons which was cool also. I've been looking for that information for about the last 4 years, but didn't know exactly where to look. I've only been on this forum for a few days and had the question answered already. Thanks, guys!

· Registered
541 Posts
What model is it - Government, Gold Cup National Match, Combat Government, etc? You say it has adjustable rear sights and a collet bushing. That sounds like a GCNM.

The front sight falling off was standard Colt design for that era.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
series 80

well i dont know if its a gold cup. Its blued with polished flats. wood grips with the gold colt medallion. how do i find out if its a gold cup? Its a full size government. the seriel number starts with fg and it only says government model on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.