1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ride out to Cabelas just to take a look around, I didn't see much anything of any interest,, They typical slightly overpriced firearms, A couple of good deals on semi auto .22s as usual, Then my eyes fell on this old gem, It seemed to function fine, although stiff from old oil/ect, I deceided to take a chance,

,,, It is a Colt new police 32 with a chipped grip on the left side, It still has some blueing left on it, I brought it home, and did a total strip and clean of the old man, and I found that the grips are marked with the serial # as well as most of all the small parts, None marked any different, eather with correct # or no #, Now it is all buttery smooth, Action is clean with 100% lockup, I looked at the Proofhouse sight for this New police, and it is from the first year of manufacture---1897---
It appears to be fine throughout, The big question is, Is it safe to shoot?
And if so, what modern ammo would you try?
Any recomandations for ammo brand and type?
Does anyone here have any expirence with these old Colts?
I have an H&R top break 32 short that is very old, and it seems fine with the modern ammo...
I am pretty happy with this old Colt, It is now my oldest Colt, and oldest firearm.
And suggestions will be appreciated!
PB.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Yes, I believe he did standardize the dept.s arms with Colt .32 revolvers (although they soon went up a step). Reading early accounts of police actions in his day reads more like a whats what in an ancient weapons bazaar with everything from Civil War pieces to Indian War pieces, dress swords, and Rolling Blocks etc. in various inventories...

Anyway, I digress, check the top of the left frame trigger guard. You are looking for the tiny triangle stamp. If that is not there, then the gun is NOT rated for smokeless powder and all ammo chosen must be black powder cartridges. Do not fire smokeless powder ammo in a Colt pistol lacking the VP mark. The caliber was probably .32 S&W or .32 Colt New Police. Checking Cartridges of the World' we see we are speaking of an 85 grain bullet with 9 grains of black powder. The book claims 700 fps, but don't be too surprized if the actual velocity is closer to 600 fps.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Added as an aside.., consider getting a historical letter from Colt which will give you info as to who purchased it, when, and if there was anything special done to it for a customer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts