1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm considering both of these for my first Colt 1911 and I was wondering, under the same conditions, if one of these is more accurate than the other, and also if one is known to misfire more than the other. I was guessing that the XSE may be tighter, more accurate, and a little more picky on the quality of rounds, but I thought I should check with the experts. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just got one of the NRM Colt 1991A1's, I guess this the part number you refer to 01991, right? Or, is this the part number for the old roll marked Colt 1991's? The old 1991's are cast frames/slide, the new ones are forged.

If you have the money, go with the XSE.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Rrotz said:
The old 1991's are cast frames/slide, the new ones are forged.
Incorrect. They were always forged.

The 01991 and XSE are functionally identical as far as I know, the XSE just has a couple extra features. The 01991 is a better value, unless you want the specific XSE features.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Damn, there's alot of crazy stuff being said up on here. People be saying they were cast?! Then, I repeat that crap!

BAD RROTZ! BAD!

:dope:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rrotz, these were just the item numbers from the davidsonsinc site. I've heard that the full length guide rod make the accuracy better. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If you like the extra features, they are worth the money. Many people like to start with a standard gun and then "have it their way" after they know what they want.

Guide rods are a snare and a delusion. They add zero to accuracy, and little or nothing to spring life. What they do add is weight, which is all well and good if you are just shooting targets - not so good in a carry gun. I immediately replaced the guide rod in my XSE with standard style Colt recoil spring guide and plug, before I fired a shot. Why are they made? Too sell, of course!

Barrel fit on all the new Colts has been very good, and that is what makes a 1911 shoot. Either gun will satisfy. One just comes with a few more features. Read about them on www.Colt.com.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - Samuel Colt, mid-1850's Colt newspaper ad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys.

Col. Colt, I have heard that there is a little more play in the slide of the basic Colt vs. the XSE (after the hammer is cocked). Do you know if this is true, or if it matters any for accuracy?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If anything, the NRM (New Rollmarked) standard guns are tighter overall than the four XSEs we have in the showcase. Not by much, but a hair. But being built tight is not necessarily a positive.

The good news is, Colt's current method of tolerancing 1911s is the best in the Industry for multipurpose carry/competition use. It is a return to the correct way to tolerance a 1911.

By the way, frame slide fit tells you nothing - and too tight is a negative, not a positive. Your accuracy is in the barrel to slide fit, a tight slide can add at most 5-10%, and will cost reliability whenever the gun gets dirty or dry.

I've seen guns that rattle that are tack drivers, and tight slide guns that gave patterns rather than groups.

Either the XSE or the NRM guns are excellent - go with what one's pocketbook and taste tell you.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More true now than 150 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts