1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the chance to pick up a colt short slide (stainless) on a caspian fullsize frame. i have seen the gun, a guy i know has it. i haven't got to shoot it yet, he's going to bring it to me this weekend. the gun is in good shape, still looks like new, and the fit is good.

what i am wondering is, is this combination realible, i mean for the most part. i know each gun is different, but does anyone here have any experience with this type of combo, and would it be or can it be made realible enough for off duty carry?

i would like to find a recon, but i think this is as close as i am going to get.

by the way, i would be trading my glock 30 for it, i love my glock, but it never gets shot since i shoot my 1911's all the time now. is that trade even close to even??

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
RUSSEL213, I've got two Colt slides, a commander and full size slide, both stainless attached to a Caspian frame. Functions perfectly. I ordered the frames from Caspian with custom serial numbers through my gunsmith and he fitted the slides on when I got them. Go for it, you'll love what you get.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by RUSSEL213:
i have the chance to pick up a colt short slide (stainless) on a caspian fullsize frame. i have seen the gun, a guy i know has it. i haven't got to shoot it yet, he's going to bring it to me this weekend. the gun is in good shape, still looks like new, and the fit is good.

what i am wondering is, is this combination realible, i mean for the most part. i know each gun is different, but does anyone here have any experience with this type of combo, and would it be or can it be made realible enough for off duty carry?

i would like to find a recon, but i think this is as close as i am going to get.

by the way, i would be trading my glock 30 for it, i love my glock, but it never gets shot since i shoot my 1911's all the time now. is that trade even close to even??

russel the cop
Hey Russel...

Yes, that combo was very reliable in the Colt "Commanding Officer's" I had about 15 years ago. The Recon later replaced that Limited Edition model.

Personally, I would look at going the other way, but that is just me.

Shooting the Short Slide/Full Frame combo is easy, but the balance just feels funky, definately, bottom heavy (in the grip).

For me, the Commander length just feels better balanced, and with the Full Grip, is a perfect match, though the Short Grip "C.C.O." works fine as well, and has the added benefit of concealment.

YMMV... What ever you choose, best of luck...

Oh, also, try to keep the Glock, AND get the 1911. Not a big Glock fan, but I can never see decreasing one's collection for any reason. If the new one doesn't work out, you can always dump it, or swap the slide and make it more conventional, but then, you're still out the one you traded...

Enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts