1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I need your help. After putting 200 rounds through my new blue 70 series I have had 3 malfunctions using Winchester white box ball ammo. The first day (100 rnds) I had a failure to feed and an failure to eject on the last round. On the second outing (100 rnds) I had a failure to lock back on the last round (I'm a lefty so my hand was nowhere near the slide stop).

I called Colt and Paul said that these pistols are good to go out of the box, they need no break-in period and that I should not be having any of these problems. He said to send it in for warranty work.

Now the twist. I was just getting ready to send my pistol to Novak to have Lomount night sights and a Wilson Ambi safety installed. Now Colt will do the same work for about the same money, but use an Ed Brown Ambi instead.

If Colt does the work, it won't be done by the Custom Shop, but in the regular repair shop. Colt will re-blue the slide, while Novak puts a clear protectant under the sight, and cold blue where necessary.

So, should I have Colt do it all, or after the warranty work is done, send it to Novak's for the sight and safety work (shipping costs have already been factored into the total cost and are about even)?

Also is there any real difference between Ed Brown and Wilson?

Steve

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
Let Colt do it. Their warranty repair guys are probably in all likelihood the same ones who run the Custom Shop! ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let Colt do it. Their warranty repair guys are probably in all likelihood the same ones who run the Custom Shop! ;)
Apparently not. I spoke to Joe Canali, who I believe is the head of sales for the Custom Shop and he said others would be doing the work. Knowing that, does that change your opinion at all?

Steve

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Novaks, by far.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd let Colt work on it at least enough to get it running as it should. I prefer the shape of the Brown over the Wilson safety.

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
Apparently not. I spoke to Joe Canali, who I believe is the head of sales for the Custom Shop and he said others would be doing the work. Knowing that, does that change your opinion at all?

Steve
No. Colt should be able to do it, and make the thing reliable at the same time. When they refinish the slide you can then ask them to sand the rollmarks down flat so they look better as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let Colt do it. A few months after having Colt put the O Package on my series 70 I had to send it back for a problem with the slide. They ended up replacing the slide and they also put the O-Package on the new slide.

If Novak does your custom work and later on you send it to Colt for warranty work you may loose the Novak work.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
I would go with Colt. Be sure you keep an invoice of their work with the gun, like throw the invoice in the gunbox or whatever when you get it back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
At this point, I'm leaning towards Colt.

dsk brought up a great idea about the rollmarks. I wonder what else I could ask for ;) ? Not that I'm greedy, but then again, yeah, I'm greedy :).

I'm leaning and leaning hard towards Colt, but Bladeandbarrel has done me right in the past, so I have to keep his opinion in the back of my mind too.

Please keep your opinions coming. I really appreciate it.

Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A point to consider is that sending it to Colt under warranty, you will save about $75 in shipping.

ML
Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier, I've already factored in the shipping. Colt's price is higher than Novak's so the savings in shipping almost evens them out.

Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. Colt should be able to do it, and make the thing reliable at the same time. When they refinish the slide you can then ask them to sand the rollmarks down flat so they look better as well.
dsk,

I'm wondering if it would be too much to ask them to soften the edges on the slide since they are going to re-blue. I forget what that's called.

Steve

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
It never hurts to ask. :)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Novak's here. I just sent them the slide as the pistol was zeroed. Get the new X-Model rear sight, it allows moving the slide by hooking it on your belt or holster.

These are the older "non snag" type which I'll probably replace by summer.

I'm very partial to dot-over-bar tritium night sights.

-- Chuck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts