1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dannyjunkfish,

Show us your 1917 GM ??

Best Regards,
Only photo I have right now. Still need to give it a thorough cleaning. It’s factory correct. One of those sleepers on Gunbroker that I got for $1300.

I have submitted for a Colt factory letter. Since most of these 1917 production ones were contract ones, it seems. It will probably just be: “sold to Bob Smith Sporting Goods” of course though, haha.

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Only photo I have right now. Still need to give it a thorough cleaning. It’s factory correct. One of those sleepers on Gunbroker that I got for $1300.

I have submitted for a Colt factory letter. Since most of these 1917 production ones were contract ones, it seems. It will probably just be: “sold to Bob Smith Sporting Goods” of course though, haha.

View attachment 646277
By 1917, lanyard loop magazine was no longer used for factory shipment. What you need is a two tone pinned base magazine without lanyard loop.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

View attachment 646277
Dannyjunkfish,

Thanks,...when you can, show us the other side and the barrel markings. ?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well...it is a Government Model, i.e. commercial, so it isn't military issue.
True, not officially military issue. A lot of the 1917 commercial production was procured/privately purchased by officers/NCO’s.

In regards of “contract ones”. I was referring more to around 80% of the 1917, GM, 1911’s were purchased by outside venues. Aka: Russian contract was in this range. My serial number is higher than the known range though.

Only about 20% stayed stateside.

Mine will likely just be, sold to: “Bob Smith’ Sporting Goods”. Since my serial number is in higher range.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Top of barrel (outside/hood) polished bright.

Barrel marked with an inspection stamp. Along with “P”.

View attachment 646294
View attachment 646293
Dannyjunkfish,

Thanks for the Barrel pics,...that is the markings Clawson lists/notes for the GM in the (about) serial number range C30000 through about C101000.

He also notes that the Commercial Type III Lanyard Loop magazine was in transition with the non-script (non-Lanyard Loop) Commercial two-tone Magazine in the range C85000 through C95000. So, your C 90101 could have shipped with either.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

View attachment 646277
Dannyjunkfish,

On your COLT Letter, if it is not too late, ask the Archives to add the assembly date to the letter.

Maybe if it was assembled early (earlier) in 1917, it might be more likely to have shipped with a Commercial Type III Lanyard Loop magazine. ?

Best Regards,

P.S. Here's an Old Post:

Date Of Birth

Other than a few exceptions (noted or used as examples) in the literature,---most likely, the only way to determine the DOB (the assembly date) is to ask COLT. There are many situations where COLT did Not manufacture Pistols in numerical order. The practices and parts that COLT was using at the time the Pistol was assembled, most likely, is the best way to determine how the Pistol looked when shipped.?

Sometimes Pistols (Prewar Model O Match as an example) shipped several times, over several years. And sometimes Pistols sat on shelves for extended periods, or were assembled years after they were numbered.

So, are you going to Letter it? If so, some believe it is important to ask COLT to add the assembly date (DOB) to the Letter.?

P.S. # 2 Here's some examples:
Handwriting Font Parallel Paper product Paper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Dannyjunkfish,

Thanks for the Barrel pics,...that is the markings Clawson lists/notes for the GM in the (about) serial number range C30000 through about C101000.

He also notes that the Commercial Type III Lanyard Loop magazine was in transition with the non-script (non-Lanyard Loop) Commercial two-tone Magazine in the range C85000 through C95000. So, your C 90101 could have shipped with either.

Best Regards,
Yes, I was glad the barrel was correct. Since the photos didn’t show any internals.

I was aware my pistol in regards of serial number could have either magazine (lanyard or not). My thought bases: “first in, last out”. That’s why I gravitated towards the lanyard one.

I have a pinned, no lanyard, two tone, one too. Though again, I am not sure who made it, colt Remington, Springfield.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dannyjunkfish,

On your COLT Letter, if it is not too late, ask the Archives to add the assembly date to the letter.

Maybe if it was assembled early (earlier) in 1917, it might be more likely to have shipped with a Commercial Type III Lanyard Loop magazine. ?

Best Regards,

P.S. Here's an Old Post:

Date Of Birth

Other than a few exceptions (noted or used as examples) in the literature,---most likely, the only way to determine the DOB (the assembly date) is to ask COLT. There are many situations where COLT did Not manufacture Pistols in numerical order. The practices and parts that COLT was using at the time the Pistol was assembled, most likely, is the best way to determine how the Pistol looked when shipped.?

Sometimes Pistols (Prewar Model O Match as an example) shipped several times, over several years. And sometimes Pistols sat on shelves for extended periods, or were assembled years after they were numbered.

So, are you going to Letter it? If so, some believe it is important to ask COLT to add the assembly date (DOB) to the Letter.?

P.S. # 2 Here's some examples:
View attachment 646414
That is good advice. I’ll see if I can request/add on it. I did the email version of factory letter. I guess when I get the confirmation, I’ll add the request for “manufactured date”.

Thanks for all you help and info!

-Danny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts