1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has the newest Brownell catalog? Do they still offer original Colt 1911 frames and slides?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went to their web site and found out they did.
Colt Enhanced Commander slide Royal Blue
Les Baer Frame with all goodies
Bar Sto match barrel

This seem good enough to you? I thought it would be the perfect hybrid between custom and the original Commander.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Why would you want to buy a Colt slide to put on a Les Baer frame? Why not just get a Les Baer slide? The Colt slides have the Series 80 safety cuts and Les Baer frames do not use them. Why not just get a Les Baer or a Caspian slide without this feature? Also, the frames listed in the catalog are for full size Government models. Les Baer sells a Commanche frame, which is comparable to the Commander frame. Do you already have a Les Baer Commanche frame? If not, Brownells doesn't sell them. While you can put a Commander slide on a full size frame, the dustcover will be too long and it won't look right.

If you just want a Commander, why not just buy a 1991A1 Commander from Colt? I see them all the time on the Auction sites for around $500. That's just a little more then the price of a slide and frame seperately. Then you can have the custom stuff added afterwards.

[This message has been edited by Paten (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reson is quite simple; the Les Baer slide doesn´t say "Colt".
My original idea was to buy a 1991 Commander and have it worked over by a custom smith but it would be more expensive to have the 1991 frame altered than to buy the Baer frame with everything done at the factory. The only thing that differs on a full size and Commander / Commanche frame is the dust cover and that can be shortened without difficulty.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Actually, I seem to remember reading somewhere on this board that there is another difference besides the dust cover. I can't recall what that difference is though. You might want to do a search of the gunsmithing forum or ask in there.

Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted the slide to say Colt, I would want the frame to say Colt as well. To each his own.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts