1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine stopped by and he has a Colt, I am not familiar with. It is the Colt Premier Edition one of 500, engraved and gold inlayed slide, on the frame it is stamped Pre xxx, what can you all tell me about it. He is thinking about selling, never been shot, and has looks like a burl walnut stocks. He is looking at what is a fair price. I told him $3000.00, am I too high, not familiar with engraved guns, any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I can't comment on the gun value, but I'm wondering if there is a Hurst Olds in your garage? :rock:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I often wonder about the value of some "special editions". I know Talo has cranked them out for years. About 10 years ago I found one of theirs almost new in box at a gunstore for $750 when they were still selling new for $1.2K.

Under the hood so to speak it is pretty much a Colt XSE and it shoots well. I guess if you love the special theme they are worth what you think they are. This one has a special S/N of DTMxxx with something like 500 made I think. It used to be on Talos web site years ago. Great for 4th of July BBQs.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I saw a "special" series 70 repro a few years back at a LGS. I can't remember the model nunber on it, but it was basically a plain Jane series 70 with an old school polished Royal blue finish. Man, that blue was 10 miles deep. It was only ~$200 more than the "Regular" one, but I bought neither. Stupid me.

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
Most of the time the "special editions" are not good investments. Have seen special editions selling for less than a non special edition. Kind of funny sometimes.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A friend of mine stopped by and he has a Colt, I am not familiar with. It is the Colt Premier Edition one of 500, engraved and gold inlayed slide, on the frame it is stamped Pre xxx, what can you all tell me about it. He is thinking about selling, never been shot, and has looks like a burl walnut stocks. He is looking at what is a fair price. I told him $3000.00, am I too high, not familiar with engraved guns, any help would be appreciated.
Much too high. As has been said; it is probably worth quite a bit less than when it was made.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What most have said is true except for the Colt super line of specials. If you look back to around 2010 and those awful things that resembled colt Supers and how dealers could dang near not give them away. Look at them now on GB. I cashed mine out a couple of years ago and they are even higher now. Look up the Aztec, Zapata, el grit, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts