1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has a nib python. The only trouble is its nickel plated. I can't stand the finish but was wondering if it could be sent back to the factory for blueing?? Does anybody know if this can be done??

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The factory does do refinishing but the question must be asked..why do this? Unless he's virtually giving it away there are plenty of blued pythons out there of various vintages that for what it would cost you'd be ahead of the game to get one that is already in the finish you want. No flame intended, just food for thought.

Contact Colt and they can quote you a price, then you can make your decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They might be plentiful where you are but not around here. I go to a gun show every six months and have never seen one. I suppose I could find one on line but I want to see it first. Then the nickel could be stripped and the gun blued then? No, hes not giving it away=1 k...lots o dough...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why don't you just ask the dealer to find one for you? It will be cheaper than having a brand new revolver refinished not to mention the potential lost in collectability as it will still letter as a nickeled model.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
You can have a nickle gun stripped and blued, but you're looking at the price of a brand NEW Python by the time you're done.

You can currently buy a NEW Python from the Colt Custom Shop, and regular production of new Pythons is due to re-start early next year.

I'd advise either continuing to shop, ask the gun shop owner to find you one, look on line from a REPUTABLE dealer with lots of positive feedback, OR just buy a new one from Colt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know they were set to resume production, thanks for that bit of info. Of course I'll wait in that case as long as they dont have any locking devices like the Smith&Wessons have now. Are they going to start production on any others (like the magnum carry or pony) do you know???

·
Registered
677 Posts
$1k for a NIB Nickel Python is a damn good price. If you buy it and refinish it you better not go outside ever again because lighting will strike you down.

As suggested above, have your dealer find you a blue one. It'll be cheaper and you'll get what you want. Not to mention saving the Nickel one for somebody who'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree that you should have your dealer find a blued Python. To spend 1K and then more to have it refinished would decrease the value of your investment. Let me know if you buy this nickled Python and have it refinished, I'll offer $500.00 if it is unfired!

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to Jim at the Colt Custom Shop less than 2 weeks ago, they are NOT producing Pythons now, out of the custom shop or anywhere else within Colt, nor are they commited to begin production again next year. When I pressed him on this, he said that even if production does resume next year, it will be later in the year, like 2nd half.

Given Colt's rather paltry "committment" to the commercial (i.e. non-Military) market, it would seem that the widespread rumor that Pythons are going to produced next year, or can be requested now through the Custom Shop, is in need of an update.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you've got a good relationship with your shop he should be able to find you a nice blued one. They are out there, mostly on the net & yes geography does matter as different guns are more/less popular in different areas. On most of the internet sites you get a 3 day, non-firing inspection period. In the past 4 years I've returned 1 purchase, no problems. Good communications with the seller is always the way to go. Enjoy the search and have fun. I bought my '78 4" blue on gunsamerica last year for $800 shipped and it was nicer than described, easy 98%. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't figure out where $1,000 came from.But if it's a 2 1/2 and nickel for $1,000 you better grab it and fast.
I might add I'd swap you whatever barrel lenght you want NIB for a 2 1/2 inch nickel.Pay the fee's for both even.
That's how I feel about snubby nicks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts