1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun shop just got in two of the new Pythons in both barrel lengths. They also had an old used 3" Python from the 1960s. Unfortunately they were all hideously overpriced so there was no sale. However I did finally get a chance to put my mitts on the new Pythons, and I have to say they're really nice. I still wish the hammer was checkered and the back strap was serrated, but overall they appeared to be better guns than the old one. Smoother action, better trigger feel and better sights. The polishing of the stainless steel was pretty good, and with a little Flitz they could easily be turned into signal mirrors. Once the discretionary funds recover and I manage to find one of these close to MSRP I may have to grab it. Since I couldn't decide whether I liked the 6" or the 4.25" model more I guess it's a good thing I've got a long time to think about it.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Good to know. I might wait and see if Colt decides to produce them in Royal Blue, but a Python has been on my Grail Gun list for a while...and at least THEIR new models don't have the "Hillary Hole".

·
Registered
14 Posts
This IS good news! Hopefully this means that they'll more available soon. I really want a six inch, but my LGS doesn't even list them on their website anymore, so I was worried that there were none left to be had for awhile. When they did have them listed on their website, they were $1599. I would pay that much for one no problem, but not much more than that. I don't want to buy one on-line because I want to look at it first.

My LGS gas a new python for $2499. Hope he chokes
Wow! That's insane!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The python is nice but I'm leaning towards a king cobra with the 3inch barrel.

You all know I am a ruger guy but the cobra felt good in the hand and 6 over 5 rounds compared to the sp101 is always a plus.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
They also had an old used 3" Python from the 1960s.
A real factory 3" is a rare bird and deservedly expensive.
But you have to beware of parts guns made up with the leftover barrels sold off to Numrich.
The ones made up by a distributor by sawing off 8" barrels can be identified by inspection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know. I might wait and see if Colt decides to produce them in Royal Blue, but a Python has been on my Grail Gun list for a while...and at least THEIR new models don't have the "Hillary Hole".
Be patient if you like a blued finish, they may be coming.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
According to the Gun Deals site Jason D posted, Out-Of-Stock listings outnumbered the In Stock listings by around TEN TO ONE.

Plus you gotta figure in that the In Stock listings are very much likely Out Of Stock but have not been updated yet.

Now add in the factor that, most likely, thousands of LGS's have multiple Pythons back-ordered deep into the foreseeable future. This does not bode well for bargain hunters.

Colt has a MASSIVE hit on their hands. So any Python that actually gets into a customer's hands at retail could be instantly flipped for a substantial profit.

So, with this incredible level of demand in a free market economy, what does this mean?

Answer: It means that it will take YEARS for Colt to catch up with demand and for prices to fall ---------------- if ever!

It may be like waiting for Rolex Watches to become cheaper because they have "satisfied current demand" --------- I've been waiting for my cheap 'Rollie since 1905.

So I think that what people are getting for these guns IS the value and that it may not lessen appreciably anytime soon, if ever.

Thus I think that if you want one, denying yourself the pleasure for another decade + in an attempt to save a few bucks may be a poor, if not futile, decision.

Pay the man the going rate. Or bring a comfy pillow, for your sitting on the fence, as the seasons roll by.

Now, as guys who presumably have some stuff, I suggest that aspiring new Python owners sell some things to bolster your budget up to the current price.

Jetski? Saxophone? YZ125? Trap/skeet gun? Bowflex? --------- sell some of that rarely used stuff & make your Python dream come true.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
This is no difference from dealers marking up highly desirable cars.

If you don’t like the jacked up price, don’t buy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I want one of the new ones as well but wanted to wait until any issues were worked out as I dont trust Colt anymore on initial runs....or any company for that matter outside of mabye HK or Beretta.

I wasnt that interested until I saw they beefed the gun up a little because I want to shoot it. Just my luck it comes out during all the craziness going on.....Oh well. Its a future purchase if I am still around though.

As of right now I am not buying anymore guns after I pick up my 1911 (in route) which I picked up before all this gun buying panic. It could very possibly be the last gun I ever purchase. Oh well.... glad I finally took the plunge after 30+ years or so although I do have some experience/training with them.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The first run of factory 3in Pythons was made in 1988 for Lew Horton's.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I wouldn't count on a store clerk tagging one right.
Or maybe a 1960s gun with a Numrich barrel.

Years ago , Sportsmans Guide was selling a whole bunch of obsolete Colt factory barrels at very good prices. I bought 2 3in Python and 2 3in Detective Special barrels for $125 and $100 ea respectively.
Sold 1 of each for double what I paid.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Sportsmans Guide used to have some good stuff.
I kind of wish I had bought a 1903 FN 9mm Browning Long barrel so I could reconvert one of the guns munged up into large .380s.

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for the sake of discussion!
How much was the ridiculous price on the 3”.
I can't remember, but I think $2999.

My LGS gas a new python for $2499. Hope he chokes
$2499 was what this LGS was selling them for as well. Sorry, but even in a buying panic I'm not paying a thousand dollars over MSRP for a brand-new gun.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
I can't remember, but I think $2999.

$2499 was what this LGS was selling them for as well. Sorry, but even in a buying panic I'm not paying a thousand dollars over MSRP for a brand-new gun.
At those prices, especially 3k, I’d look for another vintage Python.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts