1911Forum banner

Colt Rear Sight Dovetail Dimensions

21K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  OJK 
#1 ·
Need to know the rear sight dovetail dimensions for a Colt series 70 Govt. slide?
TIA

#2 ·
The GI sight I believe is .347 by 24 and 1/2 degree

Dovetails like most things in the gun industry are goofy!

what a machinist calls a 60 degree cutter is easy in the gun industry.
In Machinist land it is an included angle, both sides of the cutter combined.

In Gunsmith land, of the outer limits. Brownells for instance measures the angle from horozontal to One side of the cutter. in this case 60 deg.

Now move to a rounded off 25 degree cutter per side.
Machinist dude calles this a 50 degree cutter.
brownells dude, a 65 degree, from horozonal to the cutting edge on one side is 65 deg.
makes sense right :)

50 degree included angle is less steep on each side and therefore a little stouter in my book

hope this helps,
geo

www.egw-guns.com

#3 ·
George Smith said:
The GI sight I believe is .347 by 24 and 1/2 degree

Dovetails like most things in the gun industry are goofy!

what a machinist calls a 60 degree cutter is easy in the gun industry.
In Machinist land it is an included angle, both sides of the cutter combined.

In Gunsmith land, of the outer limits. Brownells for instance measures the angle from horozontal to One side of the cutter. in this case 60 deg.

Now move to a rounded off 25 degree cutter per side.
Machinist dude calles this a 50 degree cutter.
brownells dude, a 65 degree, from horozonal to the cutting edge on one side is 65 deg.
makes sense right

50 degree included angle is less steep on each side and therefore a little stouter in my book

hope this helps,
geo

www.egw-guns.com
George,
Another question. What is a .330X60 degree dovetail?
TIA

#6 ·
bill2740 said:
I really needed that smart bottom remark.
Is the .330 X 60 degree dovetail called a mil. cut?
Being a smart bottomer myself I can relate ;)

Ok, Gun makers are a goofy independant bunch.

Yes .330 is the width of the dovetail cut.
60 degree is the angle of the cut.

this is not enough info though.

There is also the depth of the cut. in this case, you will see .060 070 and .075 deep.
BUT that too is not all. next is the distance from the front of the slide. From a range approx .265 to over .300

A set of standards for the 1911 that manufactures can agree on would be a big help.

We make Fiber optic sights. Usually .150 .160 .175 .185 and .200 high.
add depths, distance to the front and 60 or 65 degree and your looking at a bunch of sights.

In Jan 2008 were going to switch to the Novak front sight dimension as our company standard.
The Novak Rear cut has in our opinion attained the status of the Defalt fixed rear sight cut.

With Bomar gone, I wonder what will become the defalt rear sight?
the Champion Sight company is making sights for Most of the players. The LPA cut is easy as you do not need to drill and tap the slide but the front portion of the sight is higher than the BCMS.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

#8 ·
Ok, Gun makers are a goofy independant bunch.
Agreed on that. So are the 1911 "shooters". :p

Maybe someday there will be a "sightcut" designed that offers the Bo-mar "type" adjustable sight, true Heine type sight and Novak style that consumers can interchange easily. That company will sell a lot of sights because many 1911er's will change sights like they change grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.