1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some interest in getting a stainless XSE, but I really don't care for Colt's brushed finish on the rounds of the gun. I'd prefer a bead-blasted Kimber-like satin finish overall.

Does Colt offer re-finishing? Anybody have any idea about the cost of what I want?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their website is amatuerish, at best. It's hard to get an idea there what they might do for a fella. I wonder if anyone at Colt ever looks at Kimber or Springfield's website?

Hence, why I posed the question in cyberspace.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Kimber loves bling, so their website should be filled with it.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hello,

Colt can apply a beadblast finish on your future XSE purchase.

When in the States lto compete in some IDPA matches held in Utah last October, I send my Colt Gunsite inox to the Colt Custom Shop in order to refinish the frame (some rust pitting under the grip area) they made a wonderful job at no cost and free return shipping (under guarantee)

The beadblast finish is quite similar to the ones applied in the S&W1911

Hope it helps,

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
When I had my stainless Series 70 customized I had it beadblasted to a satin finish. My local gunsmith (who did this stuff out of his garage) did the work. Since it's such a simple job for any halfway-decent gunsmith I'm not sure why you want to pay more to have Colt do it.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Put it this way. You could probably do it yourself if you had a sandblaster and the right media. If you want a recommendation for a good shop, I suggest EGW (http://www.egw-guns.com) or Cylinder & Slide (http://www.cylinder-slide.com). Both are probably cheaper than Colt and would likely also have a faster turnaround time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dsk said:
Put it this way. You could probably do it yourself if you had a sandblaster and the right media.

And if I had a space shuttle, I could be an astronaut.

Appreciate the links to a cheaper and faster source though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts