1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hesitate to post this with Bob, Dwayne, and Mr. Rogers all having pistols posted on the front page, but I figured why not.

A little bit of history on the gun. This is one that my Dad bought off of gunbroker for cheap. Obviously the condition was pretty poor; however, he thought it would make a beater gun that he wouldn't have to worry about. When I got the gun it was actually quite unsafe as it was firing in full auto. While that is pretty cool, its not exactly desirable. It turns out that an incorrectly fit grip safety can cause this malady. I then received the gun and began the journey or reworking the gun and attempting to remove all of the pits while maintaining the natural lines of the gun. Most of the parts on the gun were replaced with various after market components. I have included a couple before pictures and a couple pictures of the gun's current progress. The gun is awaiting a road trip "back east" where all of the machine work will be completed on the gun. Including a flat top and sight cuts. Once all of the work is completed the gun will be cerakoted in Graphite black. I hope you enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Awesome. How did you fill in the pits on the top of the slide? Hey man, I really like that, most impressive. That grip safety fitting is one of the best I have ever seen. Are you a full-time magician, part-time gunsmith?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have been fortunate in having a few guys come through my class that exhibit skills that far exceed their experience. Some might call them 'naturals.'

Dwayne is one, and, as you can clearly see from these pictures, Jeremy is another. Jeremy came to the class with a little bit of experience gleaned from working on his own stuff. All I had to do was point him in the right direction, refine his technique, and help him develop a more critical eye.

Write his name down in your pistolsmith book. Against all my efforts to encourage him to get a real job, he's planning on opening his own shop. Get on his list as soon as he opens. Heck, get on his list now in anticipation of his opening. It will fill fast.
:)

·
Premium Member
14,641 Posts
Excellent save and return to service as it had never been before.

LOG

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I have been fortunate in having a few guys come through my class that exhibit skills that far exceed their experience. Some might call them 'naturals.'

Dwayne is one, and, as you can clearly see from these pictures, Jeremy is another. Jeremy came to the class with a little bit of experience gleaned from working on his own stuff. All I had to do was point him in the right direction, refine his technique, and help him develop a more critical eye.

Write his name down in your pistolsmith book. Against all my efforts to encourage him to get a real job, he's planning on opening his own shop. Get on his list as soon as he opens. Heck, get on his list now in anticipation of his opening. It will fill fast.
:)
Nice work and this is one HELLUVA recommendation! Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Beautiful. I really like how you softened the slide stop and thumb safety to match the rest of the frame. A nice detail often overlooked when someone takes the sharp edges off.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Jeremy,

Your status as a Windowlicker Build-Your-Own 1911 Honor Graduate is well deserved. Most of us were happy to leave with something that vaguely resembled the lines of a 1911.

Very nice work on that banged-up old Colt.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For all of the kind words I sincerely thank you. Bob deserves much of the credit. To say he taught me everything I know about 1911's would be an understatement. The most important probably being a good naptime everyday:biglaugh:. In all seriousness though, if you have a chance to take Bob's class, do so. The information that he imparts on us window lickers is well worth more than the price of admission.

To answer a couple of questions. No I have not added any metal to the gun. All of the pits were removed by filing and blending to hopefully not alter any of the original lines. The hard part was trying to keep the line straight from the round to the flat on the slide. I was not entirely successful, but I think it was improved a little.

I am not a pistolsmith currently. I have a long way to go before I can produce guns of the caliber that our resident smith's post here. But that is a goal that I am working towards.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Great save! Man, the frame radii and grip safety interfaces are so perfect it looks like both parts were magically cut out of the same piece of material with a molecules-thick laser beam. Are you going to put some night sights on it? Is it stainless or in-the-white? What kind of grips are you considering?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow. I wasn't sure what you were going to do with all of that pitting. It looks fantastic now. Can't wait to see it when it is fully complete.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts