1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

Just got back from the range shooting my SA Milspec & Colt S-70.

I ran about 100 rounds through the Colt and had 2 FTRB. Just hit the slide and they chamber fine. I was using 4 mags, both 7 & 8 round mags, all Colt Checkmate mags. I did not mark the mags and check to see if the issues was isolated to one mag (my mistake) but I think it's random, as this same issue happened last range trip. I am shooting reloads - 185gr H&G68 LSWC with 5.4gr HP38 @ 2.40 OAL. These loads shoot great out of my Milspec and Champion but I have FTRB once in a while out of the Colt. I did buy a Lee FCD and used it on the reloads I shot today, no difference.

I installed a new recoil spring (16#) insured the feed ramp was smooth, and checked tension on the extractor by inserting a loaded round under the extractor and made sure it will hold the round, yet not too tight, as the loaded round will pivot when tilting the slide up & down. It appears to have roughly the same tension as the Springers, by this test.

One thing I did notice when cleaning the gun. While inserting the loaded round to check the extractor, I notices that the extractor will thrust (move) horizontally or in and out slightly. I noticed the FP stop was moving ever so slightly and started checking. Thats when I verified the in & out movement of the extractor. I then picked up my Springer Milspec and checked for the same movement, and yes, it also moved slightly in & out, but not as much as the Colt.

Could this movement of the extractor cause issues ?? I felt that the round already slipped up under the extractor ans was on it's way to the chamber, thus eliminating the extractor theory, but I thought It may effect chambering.

Any thoughts on what to check ?

Thanks

Dog

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I would make sure the shoulder of your SWC isn't hitting the barrel leade.
If the rounds drop in fine, take a look at your barrel/ramp gap. It should be at least .025".

When you examine your brass are you getting any half-moon creases near the top of the case from the feeding process?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1: I haven't noticed any half-moon creases, The FTRB happens about 2-3 times per 100 rounds.

2: Yes, sorry for the typo 1.240

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Here's an easy one to check. Next time it happens, eject the round and look at the edge of the case rim. You said you're using reloads and it's possible there are lots of nicks on the rim from the extractor. If so, and your extractor is tight enough, the rim could be binding against the opposite of the slide face from the extractor.

Bob

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'd check to make sure you 1) arent using excessive extractor tension, or 2) have enough taper crimp.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crimp is .468 -.469

I checked extractor tension several times, and compared it to my other
1911's ,all seems well.

The case will go about half way into the chamber, the problem acts like a dirty / tight chamber feeding issue. However I have cleaned the chamber, dropped rounds in and they are nice "lose" fit as I can shake the barrel and the round will jump up & down in the chamber as I shake it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was having feeding problems with my Kimber also. I noticed that the slide rails were drying out. All I did was field strip the gun and re-lube and everything went back to normal. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts